messing up a cook

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ever have a cook go bad, from the very start? I am doing that right now. I am ruining a beautiful hunk of meat that I already have 3 days into. And it is because I ran out of charcoal and cannot go get more. So, I decided to load what was left of a bag of Kingsford and about 4 pounds of oak and apple chunks into the kettle and light it on fire.

It "stabilized" out at 250F :-D, so I went ahead and threw the meat on :thumb:. Went back to deadline and phone. About an hour later I notice...smoke...wafting past my office window. Which is 20 feet from the cooker! :shocked: Dagnabbit! It is burning...so I go out and Nooooo. It is right there are 225F and smokier than a bee keepers pot. :mad2:. Apparently I did not let the wood burn down to coals and the ones on the bottom lit off, then the ash fell from the top and snuffed it out, sort of :tsk:.

Can you say SMOKY! I sure hope it doesn't taste like a briquette.:pray:

Been there! I thought I was the only one who could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

No sir, I have been snatching defeat from the hands of victory for years, and in many venues, not just cooking. :rolleyes:

Actually a cook isn't complete until you fall asleep and let the fire burn out.

Once, while cooking and enjoying several tall glasses of Jack, I retrieved the ribs from the smoker and left the fatty. I intended to come back for it because it was ready to pull. But the next morning a little crispy ball was still setting on the grate. Friend don't let friends drink and Q.

How about going to clean the cooker a day or 2 later only to open it and find a run of chicken or who knows what. :doh:

I used to always burn wood in my offset no problem, I never let the wood burn to coals first...IMO that's how you get the best smoke flavor, coals don't really give it a huge smoke flavor like wood does.

In one way or another, I have done all of these. Inv3ctive3, I use a kettle, so I need to be careful about the amount of smoke. I have not been as focused on cooking as I should be, but, work requires some focus.

No sir, I have been snatching defeat from the hands of victory for years, and in many venues, not just cooking. :rolleyes:

Are you now, or have you ever been affiliated with the Chicago Cubs? :rolleyes:

It'll work out, Bob. Worst case you can use the meat in chili or stew or something that will mellow out the smokiness.

No, I am not now, nor have I ever been associated with the Chicago Cubs, although, I can relate at times. At one time, my office manager did note that while the Cubs often killed her, the sausages were excellent, which was more than I could say for the A's. I told her I was a NL kinda guy.

been there brother. I keep plenty of cold Dodfish Head ready for just such an occasion

No finale until tomorrow morning, I will find out soon though, as phase two is almost done.

Phase two...I feel like I'm a James Coburn Flint movie. Where's your wide belt and white sneakers?

Betcha it still comes out OK.

Back