Smoked brisket that shreds/pulls

MC80Jags

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I'm very new to the BBQ smoking world and would like if someone could give me some tips on how to cook brisket where it falls or pulls apart. I had a old capt at work that would cook a brisket and use a meat clever to chop it up with, though it would look more like pulled apart than chopped pieces of meat. Is there a certain temp the meat needs to be at? I'll assume not drying the meat out helps as we'll does foiling help with this? Thank you for any tips or advise. First day on this board!

Dry Brisket = Undercooked as you have not melted the marbled fat . Over cooked a Brisket will taste Good and not Dry but will crumble when sliced. You must cut against the grain or it will shred. Tons of Briskets threads on here to read - just type brisket in the search bar at the bottom of the page.it searches within BBQ Brethren.

Here's one to get you started

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Smoke it for 3-4 hrs transfer to a Dutch Oven and finish it in your oven in the house I prefer Chuck Roll for pulled/chopped beef.

1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1/2 part lemon pepper with no salt. Coat it heavily!!

Smoke at 300 degrees, until it hits 200. Take it off and wrap it for 2hrs. Slice against the grain. Heaven.

Smoke it for 3-4 hrs transfer to a Dutch Oven and finish it in your oven in the house I prefer Chuck Roll for pulled/chopped beef.
I just reread the OP and disregard what I posted I misunderstood I thought you where wanting to duplicate a previous experience.

Az Smoker has the it Almost right. Forget the temp! Don't cook to a temp cook to probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.
There are many roads that lead to Brisket Nirvana Some are rough and some are easy some will detour you and git ya lost in the woods. My way aint the only way, but is is a nice ride on a barn sour trail hoss It will always git ya home.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

search Franklin BBQ on YouTube he has 4 part brisket video picking and preping
cooking and slicing and eating

What said above is accurate and you could also get a beef Chuck roast ( or 2). Cook it for a couple hours in smoke at about 275 then wrap in either butcher paper or foil. Then cook until it feels like putting a toothpick in room temperature butter (probe tender). This is just one method of many but maybe somewhere to start. Sorry if I rambled on to much.

Cook like bludawg said. The point could probably be pulled like you were talking about. I'll chop and sauce the toe end of the flat (opposite side off point) for some sliders sometimes as it can be overdone.

Sounds to me like you are looking for chopped brisket, or chopped beef, more of a north-east Texas thing. It is fairly simple. Now, I don't know what kind of cooker you have, but, the process is primarily about getting the meat slightly over-done. There is no good internal temperature that you can really rely upon (well, these is one method I am ignoring) to be sure of your result. Most of us cook by feel, using a metal skewer to poke the meat, looking for when the probe slides in with very little resistance.

Since you are looking to chop, you want to get to that point, and then let it cook for an extra 30 to 60 minutes, so it gets a little over done. When you hit it with the cleaver, it will then both chop and pull, gives it a particular texture. I would suggest that wrapping in foil after the bark ets will help.

figure on running it unwrapped for 2 hours at 300°F, then 3 hours wrapped. Once it hits around 200°F, probe it, keep probing until it is very soft. Then rest it in the foil for at least one hour.

Just use chuck roast for pulled beef you will save money and get better flavor...

Back