• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First cook on Fatboy, too hot, HELP!

Homebrewed Q

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Smoking ribs and chicken today. I loaded the charcoal pan with 8 or 9 lbs of Kingsford leaving the front right corner open for one chimney full of lit. Loaded lit charcoal in, got it up to 250, filled water pan halfway with hot water, got it back to 250, put in 2 racks of St. Louis ribs and trimmings, got it back to 250, put in 2 chunks of pecan, closed left damper and left a half inch opening on right damper. Temp climbed to 270, so I closed stack to about a half inch gap, still holding at 270 30 minutes into cook. I want to hold at 250, suggestions?

Open the door!!!! It aint going to make a smidge of difference between 250 or 270. just be glad you holding a higher heat.

I think youre gonna have spikes in temp. I have mine set to 225 with the stoker right now, the only air coming in is from the fan, everything else is closed and it is still up to 246.

I think youre gonna have spikes in temp. I have mine set to 225 with the stoker right now, the only air coming in if from the fan, everything else is closed and it is still up to 246.

Not using a stoker/guru here cuz some comps I'm looking at don't allow "electronic assist". Popped the door open a cupla times, closed right damper to a quarter inch, bouncing 250 to 260. Just panicked and freaked out a bit. Followed instructions given to me by the dealer.

Agree. No biggie there. Don't sweat that small of temp range. Listen to Jestridge. He's a pretty wise dude.

Back