Brisket source in SoCal?

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Where have SoCal Brethren been getting their Briskets these days?

I've had a hankerin' for Brisket for awhile, and after going through SmokinAussie's thread, decided to give it another go. My prior attempts have been disappointments, and I'm partly convinced the Cow itself shared at least some of the blame. :mrgreen:

I've used the cryo'ed whole Brisket from Smart & Final in the past (choosing the most flexible), but the results have been on the dry side. I used the BGE Indirect, low n slo until it was somewhere in the 190+ range and passes the fork test. Used a bit of beef broth in foil towards the end on the second cook, just wrapped the first one in foil all by it's lonesome that time. Thought I'd follow Aussie's example and throw a water pan in this time. Maybe bump the temp up to the 250-275 range instead of 225.

The grocery stores I frequent usually just have a closely trimmed Flat.

Any suggestions?

I, too, use Smart and Final. That was the source of last weekend's brisket cook.

But I found that Wally World sells briskets. I was at the one in Cerritos two weeks ago and saw them.

Was that full packers in cyro at Cerritos? Select or Choice and what was the cost per lb?

Thanks, Rick

I never been there but according to my friend Hottinger Family Meats is the spot to go.
5437 Chino Ave. Chino, Ca 91710. (909) 628-2568

Is Wally World terminology for Walmart? I'm a bit lost and looking for a good meat source is SoCal too

I never been there but according to my friend Hottinger Family Meats is the spot to go.
5437 Chino Ave. Chino, Ca 91710. (909) 628-2568
Thanks for the suggestion - Chino's a bit far - I'm out between Berdoo and PS up in the mountains.

I'll give Wallyworld (WalMart) a shot, and I need to go to Smart & Final for something else, so I'll give it a shot.

I saw them once at Sam's Club, but wasn't interested at the time. Ever since - trimmed flats.

If you cannot find brisket from any of the above or < $4.00 lb . Join KCBS, KCBS members can get day passes for Restaurant Depot. RD will always have brisket for a reasonable price.

Rick

Thanks for the suggestion - Chino's a bit far - I'm out between Berdoo and PS up in the mountains.

I'll give Wallyworld (WalMart) a shot, and I need to go to Smart & Final for something else, so I'll give it a shot.

I saw them once at Sam's Club, but wasn't interested at the time. Ever since - trimmed flats.

I got to smart and final they are decent sometime. That's why I haven't gone to chino also. I live in san berdoo by cal state.

If you have Sam's close by they have packers. Costco Business also has packers choice/select and you can get in with your regular memership card but closest one is either Hawthorne or Commerce if you find your way there somehow. I had the Smart and Final Cattleman's Finest in choice as opposed to their First Street brand and liked it a lot. I actually liked it better than sam's choice. I would recommend the Cattleman's Finest and look for choice since they're mixed. $2.49/lb and you can't beat that.

If you cannot find brisket from any of the above or < $4.00 lb . Join KCBS, KCBS members can get day passes for Restaurant Depot. RD will always have brisket for a reasonable price.

Rick

I checked out KCBS but couldn't find the place where it states this. I'd be interested in joining simply for this seeing as how there is a RD less than 5 minutes away from my house

I usually buy points when I do brisket. Gelson's usually has some nice big points for sale.

If y'all don't mind me butting in right quick - SoCal Brethren Bash Sept. 21 - come on over!

Also - not really a bash, but Brethren lcbateman3 (aka Lionel) will be cooking a pig for a Carolina style pig pickin at my house in Culver City on July 20. He recently moved here from NC. I'll put up a post with details in the coming days/weeks.

Anyway - RD would be a place to look - I think you have to be a KCBS member to see the discounts page on the KCBS site. The prices are phenomenal at RD. I haven't had good luck with the briskets from S&F, but I'm more ready to blame myself than the brisket. I sometimes get them at Huntington Meats at the L.A. Farmer's market at 3rd and Fairfax. Not cheap but very good - but that's really far from where yer at.

And - points at Gelson's! I'm there! :clap2:

If y'all don't mind me butting in right quick - SoCal Brethren Bash Sept. 21 - come on over!

Also - not really a bash, but Brethren lcbateman3 (aka Lionel) will be cooking a pig for a Carolina style pig pickin at my house in Culver City on July 20. He recently moved here from NC. I'll put up a post with details in the coming days/weeks.

Anyway - RD would be a place to look - I think you have to be a KCBS member to see the discounts page on the KCBS site. The prices are phenomenal at RD. I haven't had good luck with the briskets from S&F, but I'm more ready to blame myself than the brisket. I sometimes get them at Huntington Meats at the L.A. Farmer's market at 3rd and Fairfax. Not cheap but very good - but that's really far from where yer at.

And - points at Gelson's! I'm there! :clap2:

I've had stuff from that farmers market, and you're right, it's pricey but so delicious. I guess I'll join KCBS soon. Maybe I'll check out RD to see what they offer before I make the leap

Thanks for all the input.

Ended up with a 6.11 pound cryo'ed flat from Sam's Club in San Berdoo. Had a decent fat cap as opposed to the one's I see at the grocery stores. It looks more like a packer though - much thicker at one end, but probably not. Picked the most flexible one I could find.

We'll see.

Now I got to figure out the timing on this thing. Don't particularly want to get up at 3 AM to start it for dinner, but I'm an early riser :loco:

Well, not that early.

hottingers has the best by far i think and reasonable prices ........

I have found that the Mexican grocery stores frequently have a nice butcher dept and carry whole packers. The ones at Ranch Market on Lugonia in Redlands have been good for me when I could only find flats at Sams/Costco, and RD was already closed

I just cooked Brisket ( angus ) from RD and used KosmosQ injection and it
turned out FANTASTIC. Best i have ever done.
hope this helps.

Back