May 12, 2010 KCBS Bod agenda posted

Just give me one example how it could affect me? I think a lot of this is over thought. I don't have a negative attitude about it, but it is just an organization led by volunteers. Where did it come from that would make me more understanding. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter where you are from, it is where you are at. Things grow and change, some people cannot accept it. As far as the fights go, PATHETIC!
how about most of the contest that you enter are sanctioned by KCBS and with out that you may not get the payouts that are their now

I think an organization can be as little or as much as you want it to be. And a member can also choose to be heavily involved in it or not involved at all. Bad decisions, mistakes, and BS in general on the part of the organization tends to get people more involved and want change. Others don't care and have no desire to get involved in something they feel doesn't really affect them. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong...just a matter of personal choice.

Jared

how about most of the contest that you enter are sanctioned by KCBS and with out that you may not get the payouts that are their now

Not sure I understand what the KCBS has to do with organizers getting sponsors for payouts and collecting money for entry fees to put in the prize pool? If you are sayng that people enter contests because they are sanctioned, it seems to me that eveyone hates the KCBS so you won't see people entering anyway. KCBS wasn't the first astronaut on the moon, they have a base organization that runs BBQ comps, no harder then a local little league running a rec baseball program. There are plenty of brains out there that can take the idea and run with it.

good point, but look at maba they have been trying for several years to grow and sanction more but without the support of the members it is not happening like thay want

Not sure I understand what the KCBS has to do with organizers getting sponsors for payouts and collecting money for entry fees to put in the prize pool? If you are sayng that people enter contests because they are sanctioned, it seems to me that eveyone hates the KCBS so you won't see people entering anyway. KCBS wasn't the first astronaut on the moon, they have a base organization that runs BBQ comps, no harder then a local little league running a rec baseball program. There are plenty of brains out there that can take the idea and run with it.
I think a prime example of it is the problems we as competitors found with the Dells. It wasn't until KCBS & the BOD got involved that the whole money thing was cleaned up.

Bingo - it's some protection for the cooks. Look at how few contests have had a problem with payouts since 2004 when the BOD voted in soem teeth to sanctioning.

THATS IT!!! everyone needs to go and talk to the head of our local little leagues. We could have them run it and i agree with 3 men and a baby back, MATT FOR PRESIDENT. I'll be the treasurer!:p

Why reinvent the wheel though? There's no reason that, with proper leadership, that KCBS cannot meet the needs of everyone in all parts of the country.

I guess the question then is how long are you going to keep hoping that things will be fixed?

If you are not happy with certain aspects of the KCBS, how long will you attempt to enact change to no avail before you step away?

I think that the larger question is, why do we need a sanctioning body? They lend credibility to new events, but if an organizer has run the same event well for 4 or 5 years I would believe that the competitors and judges would have respect that track record regardless of sanctioning (or lack thereof).

You don't need any sanctioning body to have an event be qualified for the invitationals. You can create a spreadsheet for scoring. You can make judges slips at Kinko's.

Eric

At this point, maybe it doesn't effect you. Who's to say that at some point in the future it won't get to a point where it does? Some people are just more interested in making OUR organization a great organization I guess. And KCBS means more to me than to have that kind of attitude about it. I guess if you understand where it all came from, it is more meaningful. That's why many people are up in arms over the bullchit going on now...

It does affect members everytime there is a decision. We have to remember who our customers are who are the contest organizers. A BOD decision affects that through monies, rules, regs which you the cooker abide by. Then there are the reps that follow decisons and rules, regs, etc, which you also abide by. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it does affect every member cooking a KCBS contest. It's good to get input from the cookers because without them there would be no contest organizers, no judges or reps! Decisions made by the BOD affect everyone in the organization. Trickle down.

I guess the question then is how long are you going to keep hoping that things will be fixed?

If you are not happy with certain aspects of the KCBS, how long will you attempt to enact change to no avail before you step away?

I think that the larger question is, why do we need a sanctioning body? They lend credibility to new events, but if an organizer has run the same event well for 4 or 5 years I would believe that the competitors and judges would have respect that track record regardless of sanctioning (or lack thereof).

You don't need any sanctioning body to have an event be qualified for the invitationals. You can create a spreadsheet for scoring. You can make judges slips at Kinko's.

Eric

While I don't necessarily wish for the KCBS to go away, this has been accomplished by a lot of organizations, and this is a good point.

For example ASA softball. ASA doesn't necessarily HAVE to sanction a league for it to utilize "ASA" rules. A lot of leagues and competition organizations adopt rules that have been written previously, especially if they are well known rules. All that would be needed is a rule written in for a "umpire" of sorts to enforce the rules.

While I don't necessarily wish for the KCBS to go away, this has been accomplished by a lot of organizations, and this is a good point.

For example ASA softball. ASA doesn't necessarily HAVE to sanction a league for it to utilize "ASA" rules. A lot of leagues and competition organizations adopt rules that have been written previously, especially if they are well known rules. All that would be needed is a rule written in for a "umpire" of sorts to enforce the rules.

I wish this was true.

Try running an unsanctioned event with "KCBS rules" and prepare yourself for a cease and desist letter from there legal department. Small contests that cant afford sanctioning fees, rep fees, lodging, travel, etc are not allowed to use "KCBS RULES", scoring, etc...Not even a place mat...

so..... they use a sharpie and a piece of paper for place mats, go to kinko for judges slips and use excel spread sheets for scoring. All this instead of using something tried and true to grow to improve the event to the point where they ARE able to afford sanctioning and the like. Instead, they just have to hack it.

I know the rules, i know the logic behind it, and understand tweaking one thing or another gets past the issue. I have heard all the point/counter points.. and im not opening up the can of worms.. Just stating my view of the bridge and I just dont agree with the whole concept.

anyway.. sorry.. back on topic.

I think you are overly minimizing the effect of a sanctioning body. A standard set of rules is pretty important across contests.

I wish this was true.

Try running an unsanctioned event with "KCBS rules" and prepare yourself for a cease and desist letter from there legal department. Small contests that cant afford sanctioning fees, rep fees, lodging, travel, etc are not allowed to use "KCBS RULES", scoring, etc...Not even a place mat...

so..... they use a sharpie and a piece of paper for place mats, go to kinko for judges slips and use excel spread sheets for scoring. All this instead of using something tried and true to grow to improve the event to the point where they ARE able to afford sanctioning and the like. Instead, they just have to hack it.

I know the rules, i know the logic behind it, and understand tweaking one thing or another gets past the issue. I have heard all the point/counter points.. and im not opening up the can of worms.. Just stating my view of the bridge and I just dont agree with the whole concept.

anyway.. sorry.. back on topic.

KCBS is a "non-profit", correct?

Like I said before, I like sanctioning, I like KCBS, but to play DA here, they don't really have a leg.

"Kansas City style rules apply" is all that is needed.

Eric
We know the KCBS will guarantee the money. Without them the Dells would have paid well over half in credits at the outlet mall and the sponsors restaurant. It can happen anywhere.

We know the scoring system. If another unsanctioned contest uses the same numbers and advertises that then the KCBS can sue.

We know that the reps will do the best they can to amke sure the turn in process is run correctly and that blind judging is truly blind and that the local team is not identified to local judges.

The KCBS has proven to give us all of this. I've cooked unsanctioned cotnests and some were good and sosme bad. You're taking your chances. And I've been competing for over 10 years.

We know the KCBS will guarantee the money. Without them the Dells would have paid well over half in credits at the outlet mall and the sponsors restaurant. It can happen anywhere.

We know the scoring system. If another unsanctioned contest uses the same numbers and advertises that then the KCBS can sue.

We know that the reps will do the best they can to amke sure the turn in process is run correctly and that blind judging is truly blind and that the local team is not identified to local judges.

The KCBS has proven to give us all of this. I've cooked unsanctioned cotnests and some were good and sosme bad. You're taking your chances. And I've been competing for over 10 years.

This is also a good point (not to discredit Pooh Bear).

So, as members how do we vote? I've asked before, how do we AS MEMBERS make a difference?

So, as members how do we vote? I've asked before, how do we AS MEMBERS make a difference?

I thought before that you just VOTE. But I've learned that those who can't get along, can't cooperate, don't respect each other and govern like 10 year olds aren't the biggest problem. The biggest problems are the members who don't bother to vote them out. With 22% voter turn-out like this year, the problems are relaxing in their seats and getting comfortable while those of us who care about KCBS are losing patience and getting frustrated. So you make a difference by getting the word out everywhere and anywhere you can that members MUST utilize their right and responsibility and VOTE.

The biggest problems are the members who don't bother to vote them out. With 22% voter turn-out like this year, the problems are relaxing in their seats and getting comfortable while those of us who care about KCBS are losing patience and getting frustrated. So you make a difference by getting the word out everywhere and anywhere you can that members MUST utilize their right and responsibility and VOTE.
Jeff

With all due respect a 22% voter turnout for a not for profit organization is a tremendous voter turnout. I think it represents probably close to a 1000 cooks and that's probably half the cook teams who are members. The others cook 1-2 contests locally and don't care about TOY or anything else. Local elections - school board, etc often don't get a 20% turnout.

Also while we are very passionate about all this the vast majority of members do not know what is going on and many read the bullsheet and maybe judge one contest and do a little backyard cooking. None of the issues before the BOD impact them. It's typical of an organization this size. And no offense to judges but a number of them join to do 1 contest and get free food.

Last - a couple of Brethren ran last year and I believe all the members here voted for our candidates. BUT that wasn't enough. It says while there's lots of discussion there just are not enough members here to do it. More Brethren need to join KCBS. Over the next 3-4 months there should be a campaign here to get Brethren to join the KCBS. That might be the best chance for making change with our votes.

Last edited:
Back