• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

After seeing JM's review on this product, I just may be heading to Lowes shortly and picking on of these bad boys up myself! :thumb:

I talked to the folks at BBQ Guru today and they are working on a Guru fan adapter for this cooker!

Well with all the talk I had to stop by a lowes today and take a look for myself. Like some others have said whoever they had put it together did a poor ass job. There was a lot of play in the slide vent intake plate. Not sure if that is normal or lack of being put together as it should be.

I did take interest in some of the comparisons it had on the tag.

• 40% lighter than other "ceramic grill""
  • 9% larger cooking area than the large "ceramic grill"

I talked to the folks at BBQ Guru today and they are working on a Guru fan adapter for this cooker!

This would be awesome. Any ways I am sold. Be my fathers day present this year. Just little early

Well with all the talk I had to stop by a lowes today and take a look for myself. Like some others have said whoever they had put it together did a poor ass job. There was a lot of play in the slide vent intake plate. Not sure if that is normal or lack of being put together as it should be.

The sliding air vent comes pre-assembled on the ash pan. It does probably need a little work to seal it up tightly. I'm going to experiment on my next cook with some high heat tape that I have to seal it off around the edges. If that generates better air flow control I will remove the vent and seal it up with some high temp rtv silicone.

Just checked these out. OUT-FARKING-STANDING videos!

Great job John! Thanks so much. I will be getting one of these. I've been wanting a Kamado for years. I've looked at the Big Red Cooker (I think that's the name) and thought it was cheap.

BTW.....I'll be that the minor air leaks you found (not that they're that much of a problem it doesn't seem) seal up with a few good cooks. I had similar air leaks around my UDS lid but no more.

Thanks again!:thumb:

Got one in the back of my car now. Heading home to put it together tonight. Supposed to be some nice weather the next few days so I can do a seasoning one day and a cook the next day. More to follow tomorrow!

I bought last years model in may or june of lsst year. Its nice still. I did end up burning thru the ashpan gasket within the first few cooks. So i bought a felt bge gasket and burned through a roll of that then finally nomex. That has been good. I dont have any issue with the stainless vent. Also ive been able to cook at around 225. I usually just light half a starter cube and then your ready to go. All in all this is a good cooker. Only issue i have is the wood split on the shelves and the color faded from being uncovered outside.

I was looking this morning on their website looking for info and some auto chat box came up asking if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and the customer support chat guy named "Kevin" said they must be new cause he never heard of it:laugh::tsk: Needless to say he told me to look at the Big Easy

Just got back from Lowes checking one out. Started to go ahead and buy one but i'm gonna wait a few weeks and see how they hold up. Looks to be well made.

I was looking this morning on their website looking for info and some auto chat box came up asking if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and the customer support chat guy named "Kevin" said they must be new cause he never heard of it:laugh::tsk: Needless to say he told me to look at the Big Easy

Sounds like you were at the Char-Broil website and not the Char-Griller site

I noticed that yesterday. Very strange to not have any information on this unit on the web site. :confused:

They obviously don't spend much on their website. Seriously, it's like the Presiden't secretary's nephew did the thing for class credit for ITT. Of all the major grill builders, they have the worst website by a very long shot. Char-Broil is taking it to a whole other level with their All-Stars made up of bloggers from around the world showing off what they do on Char-Broil grills. The reason I'm so familiar with it is that I am a Char-Broil All-Star and while I own two of them, this is my next grill. The Char-Broil infrared grills are absolutely amazing, but this is my next charcoal grill. Any chance Lowe's will sell two packs of lump next Memorial Day for $10!?!

I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!

I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!

Do you happen to have any pictures of this you can post? I own the Broil King Keg and it is the best thing ever! im looking at this unit for a second kamodo as i cannot afford another Keg the char griller would be a perfect fit.

You did a super job on the videos. Looks like you are going to make alot of good Q with that smoker. I checked it out today and really like the engineering. I still kind of want an egg but for the price and cast iron grates looks like a bargain.

Back