Do they still cook Pittsburgh Style steaks in restaurants?s

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I ran the char broiler station at a local restaurant back in 1977 (very similar to a Chucks Steak House), The rage was "Pittsburgh Style Steak. Which to me meant, charred on the outside, rare on the inside. They were really a PITA for me. I had a whole grill full of tops, fillets, ny's, petite filets, and chicken. I would take the Pittsburgh order and lay it on top of the coals and sear it quickly on both sides and char it up good. Never had one come back. Today, I never hear the term! Do you?
Jed

Black and Blue is what they call it now, charred on the outside, and barely heated on the inside. You need really good beef for that to be any good.

My mom used to order her steaks "charred bloody". Believe thats the same. Not sure where the term came from. She spent her years in Chicago, Michigan and California.

I have not heard the term, but my mom used to cook everything that way, black on the outside and raw in the middle: Steaks, burgers, cakes, pies, casseroles, everything. I was glad when she stopped treating the temperature control like an on-off switch. :roll:

Even in the restaurant I used a heavy cast iron skillet. The grill does not have total contact with the steak and does not get hot enough.

I have not heard the term, but my mom used to cook everything that way, black on the outside and raw in the middle: Steaks, burgers, cakes, pies, casseroles, everything. I was glad when she stopped treating the temperature control like an on-off switch. :roll:

oh my Gawd, that had me choking from laughing sooooo hard.

It sounds like she was cooking religiously.....
Burnt Offerings and Bloody Sacrifices

I ran the char broiler station at a local restaurant back in 1977 (very similar to a Chucks Steak House), The rage was "Pittsburgh Style Steak. Which to me meant, charred on the outside, rare on the inside. They were really a PITA for me. I had a whole grill full of tops, fillets, ny's, petite filets, and chicken. I would take the Pittsburgh order and lay it on top of the coals and sear it quickly on both sides and char it up good. Never had one come back. Today, I never hear the term! Do you?
Jed

I love it.
We too have done this since the late 70's.
Of course, Adam Perry Lang acts like he invented it, but that's its own thread.

Too funny!

One of the funniest moments I've had in a restaurant was due to ordering a steak "Pittsburgh Style". I was in a high end steak house in Pittsburgh and the waiter had no clue what I meant. I explained to him that in Chicago that's what the steakhouses call a steak that is charred on the outside and rare in the middle. He started laughing and told me that in Pittsburgh that is called "Chicago Style"! :becky:

One of the funniest moments I've had in a restaurant was due to ordering a steak "Pittsburgh Style". I was in a high end steak house in Pittsburgh and the waiter had no clue what I meant. I explained to him that in Chicago that's what the steakhouses call a steak that is charred on the outside and rare in the middle. He started laughing and told me that in Pittsburgh that is called "Chicago Style"! :becky:
It's kinda like a NY style deep dish!

Thanks buddy, now I have to clean coffee up from everywhere now.

We need a spit take smilie.

At home I have an Infrared to achieve the same results.
I crank it up to 1000 deg. when I want a fast sear.
45 seconds, flip, 45 seconds and into the warmer to distribute the juices.
I've always ate steak rare and It's a quick and easy cook.

(There is still a little Moo left in it when the Garlic Butter is applied.)

If I'm cooking over an open camp fire, I sear it in the flame.
I have to judge when it's rare, when I cook it that way.
I really like the taste better when it's grilled in a camp fire.

I have not heard the term, but my mom used to cook everything that way, black on the outside and raw in the middle: Steaks, burgers, cakes, pies, casseroles, everything. I was glad when she stopped treating the temperature control like an on-off switch.

I thought black and blue is when you put blue cheese on it.

My mom cooked with a little lower heat and a lot longer time. Her goal with steaks, apparently, was to obtain a uniform gray color as well as a uniform toughness. I don't think she ever got to Pittsburgh to see any other options.

Some of the steakhouses where I live (Greenville, SC) still serve it that way and call it Pittsburgh style. It's best that way.

Back