In a pickle

bbqmike_ny

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First time poppin my pickle cherry, I used marubozo's recipe, but underestimated how many cucs I could use. I have 5 smaller sized ones I guess, and it didn't come close to filling the jar. The flavor is good, but too salty, my questions is, if I have more cucs would the salt level go down in each, or just I just need less salt for my taste. It's honestly very close to the perfect flavor, just need minor adjustment.

5 Kirby cukes is too few. 10 might come closer to filling 2 quart jars. Then again, if you add onions, beans, japs, carrots, and cauliflower, you have to back off the cukes.
My recipe says 6 tsp salt and Marubozo says 6 Tbsp, I split the difference, and could up the salt a bit more

Yeah, I cut down on the salt from his recipe. Other than that, I think it is perfect. I think I used half as much.

I have been wondering what I did wrong, as I made them following the recipe (I thought exactly), and they turned out way too salty for us to eat. I've been thinking about trying again but I've been nervous that I missed something.

I made a second batch with half salt, and I think it was too little, the vinegar overpowered it a bit, so next batch, 2/3! oh well, at least I got plenty of pickles to eat.

I'm a salt lover so I didn't really think they were too salty but my wife thought they were perfect except for the fact that they were WAY to salty. I'm going to try again and go 1/2.

I use this recipe too....first batch way to salty for my taste. Cut salt down to between 1/2 and 2/3. I use cider vinegar and about 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Bingo!!! perfect for my taste and can't even tell there is sugar in it.(I hate sweet pickles)

I have used this for what I call hot mix...sub cauliflower, carrots, onions, red bell pepper and one fresh jalapeno per jar for cucs.

Just made them (again) this weekend..used 3 Tablespoons of salt and they came out (I believe) perfect flavor. With the 6 Tablespoons of salt was way too salty for me.

Brought some in to work today for some people to "test" and all thought they were perfect.

While on the topic of salt, marubozo calls for pickling/canning salt or non-iodized salt. Does this make a big difference from iodized salt. Is one saltier than the other. What have y'all been using?

It is mid way down the thread "Good pickle recipe" by indy82z

I use pickling salt...not sure what, if any, the difference would be.

I'm not familiar with this recipe, but the difference between iodized or non-iodized salt is that iodized salt will turn the brine cloudy. Mainly it's just an appearance thing. Also non-iodized salt is just slightly less salty, but not enough to matter in small batches.

Either canning salt or Kosher salt works fine. I usually use Kosher salt because it's easier to find and usually cheaper.

VR,
Harold

To me the big difference between the different salts is the size of the crystals. If you try to use Morton's Iodized table salt, you will get way too much salt as the crystals are smaller.

Here's the recipe again:

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Just made marubozo's pickles with 4 tbsp. of non iodized kosher salt. Perfect saltiness. Also my first time making pickles. Good results for the maiden voyage.

The difference with iodized vs non is that the iodized salt contains anti-caking agents - so they will settle to the bottom of the jar or will turn the pickling solution cloudy. Safe to use, but not preferred.

It really depends on the brand of salt. Salt should be used by weight only.

That and ALL iodized salt is disgusting. Some folks can't taste it, but it is a nonstarter for those who can.

Salt

I have been making these since he posted and like many first batch too salty. I have settled on 5T of salt. I have also added 1/2ts of red pepper flakes and the same amount of cayenne for just a little bite. Just had 2 pickles a few mins ago lol
These r amazing thanks for sharing!!!!

Back