Restaurant Owners & Caterers:

CrazyChef

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When you cook ribs, do you do them competition style or fall off the bone?

When I had my Q joint, they would be fall off the bone, but not to the point of being mushy or too overcooked. I figured my job was to sell as much good quality BBQ as I could to the masses, not "educate them" what real Q is. That's what BBQ based festivals and competitions are for.

When you cook ribs, do you do them competition style or fall off the bone?

When I had my Q joint, they would be fall off the bone, but not to the point of being mushy or too overcooked. I figured my job was to sell as much good quality BBQ as I could to the masses, not "educate them" what real Q is. That's what BBQ based festivals and competitions are for.

Contest you cook for the judges, otherwise you cook for your customers (IMHO). But, doing some education and conversion to real BBQ along the way seems to work best - Repeat customers then have higher standards.

I cook for my customers differently than comps. Comps is candy on a bone. Catering I find it best to make them more savory.

I cater pretty much fall off the bone ribs and also vend that. I also sauce up my pork and brisket for sammies.

Fresh I do pretty much fall off the bone vac packed I do about 95%of that

I cook for my customers contest quality, If I wouldn't eat it I wont sell or feed it to them. Its my reputation on the line and future/ return business. Quality and love of the product will continue to bring them back and give me future referrels. I got a 125 person gig at $12 bucks a head because of a pulled pork sandwich I sold at a 4th of july festival. That person remembered the sandwich and ended up landing me an awesome gig.
It takes a little more time to cook this way, but anything worth doing is worth doing right, just my thoughts and how we do it!

Everything else I "try" to do competition style (although I've never been in a comp). I was just curious about the ribs. Pulled pork gets a really good bark do to the fact that my rub is about 50% dark brown sugar. Chicken gets brined in my own recipe. Sides are made completely from scratch.

I cook for my customers contest quality, If I wouldn't eat it I wont sell or feed it to them.

I cook different for a contest than for home/others. Mainly because I think the contest food has to be really good for one or two bites, but not something I would make an entire meal from.

When cooking at home I tone down the flavors a notch or two which, I feel, is better for eating a larger quantity.

Cane some one explain the difference between comp cooking and fall off the bone?

I try to do all my ribs with a little tug on them. I hate fall off the bone ribs. I let the customer pick the sauce.

I try to do all my ribs with a little tug on them. I hate fall off the bone ribs. I let the customer pick the sauce.
Just took a look at your website - Awesome menu!

When I had my Q joint I would let them pick the sauce, too. I had a tomato based, a mustard based and a vinegar based. Nothing left the kitchen with sauce on it, except for the "Cowboy Cocktail".

Do you have a copy of your old bbq menu? I have a thing with looking at menu's.

Ditto!

And who told you comp cooking is "real BBQ"?

Ya and I though they were supposed be judging the meat not the sauce. I always laugh when I here them say great sauce and then I ask them how the meat was done.:?:

Back