• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Utility Trailer for Comps

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My refurbished Backwoods Competitor will be ready soon and I've been thinking about how to move it around to comps, etc. Right now, a 4'x8' or 5'x8' utility trailer seems reasonable and the price fits my budget, not to mention I can use it for around the house yard projects. A co-worker knows a couple getting ready for a divorce and I may be able to pick up a fold up utiity trailer. I'm not sure that is exactly what I want, but the space it takes up is making me think about it a little more.

My question would be, for those who have used utility trailers to get your stuff to comps, what things should I be looking for in a utility trailer or maybe more important, what should I avoid. Maybe the better question would be, any suggestions before pulling the trigger on a utility trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We use 5 x 8, it fits all our equipment. including the med spicewine. It certainly isn't flashy but it works. We place it on site and keep the smoker on it so we don't have to roll it on and off.
The only thing I wish it had were tie downs or taller sides, and some sort of electric braking.

Ask yourself how much money you intend to invest in making it a comp ready trailer. If you are going to be investing in sinks, AC, water tanks, electricity, lights etc you may be better off going with a BBQ trailer like the kind Getyourrubon sells. You may be suprised how much it costs to deck out a utility trailer. A basic BBQ rig costs around $8000 without the sinks or water. Sometimes you can find used ones cheap, especially on the Backwoods forum.

Get the trailer and give it a try.

Odds are pretty good that if you don't like it, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

If you intend to compete in areas far from your home I would steer clear of the folding trailer. Those things are made for the once a year type of trailer guy. Get as big as you can afford, you will be happy later that you did.

Ask yourself how much money you intend to invest in making it a comp ready trailer. If you are going to be investing in sinks, AC, water tanks, electricity, lights etc you may be better off going with a BBQ trailer like the kind Getyourrubon sells. You may be suprised how much it costs to deck out a utility trailer. A basic BBQ rig costs around $8000 without the sinks or water. Sometimes you can find used ones cheap, especially on the Backwoods forum.

Monty,
I'm not in a position to spend that kind of $$$ at this time. I'm just looking for something to get me to the comp with my gear, especially with the heavy smoker. Nothing fancy, just basic. I'm ok with basically still working out of my truck for now.

I'd save your money and get an enclosed trailer if possible. If not, a good heavy duty trailer with some good sides. I went with a 6x10 enclosed trailer with ramp and store all my comp stuff in it and it carries my lg BGE and Med Spicewine with no problem.

This year we got a 6 x 12 dual axle enclosed trailer. Hauls my two FECs and all my comp stuff. Plus its big enough for me to stand up in and I also use it to sleep in. Like it was said before get the biggest you can afford. You can add stuff to it later when you find out what you need. I love the dual axle on the road it cruises like a dream. However, it can be a bear to move around when unhooked. Best of luck.

If you intend to compete in areas far from your home I would steer clear of the folding trailer. Those things are made for the once a year type of trailer guy. Get as big as you can afford, you will be happy later that you did.

I agree, not a very durable trailer, I think they are held together with bolts, not very much welding on those.

and I should have mentioned we have since dropped 6K on a 20ft trailer w/ a fully equipped kitchen. but we will still use the utility trailer for smaller hit and run comps.

This year we got a 6 x 12 dual axle enclosed trailer. Hauls my two FECs and all my comp stuff. Plus its big enough for me to stand up in and I also use it to sleep in. Like it was said before get the biggest you can afford. You can add stuff to it later when you find out what you need. I love the dual axle on the road it cruises like a dream. However, it can be a bear to move around when unhooked. Best of luck.

Yep, I wish i held out for a dual axle. But I put a rooftop a/c on it and it's great to prep and sleep in the a/c and out of the elements.

I run a Big Tex (19SV) and it works well. Has some sides to it and is welded not bolted. I checked out the folding trailers, and wasn't impressed with the build quality. I am stressed enough when towing, but having a good trailer helps. Plus the high sides allow you to really pack stuff in there.

Monty,
I'm not in a position to spend that kind of $$$ at this time. I'm just looking for something to get me to the comp with my gear, especially with the heavy smoker. Nothing fancy, just basic. I'm ok with basically still working out of my truck for now.

I hear you, Matt. Most everyone I know who has a big trailer is looking to downsize so if you can get away with small that makes all the sense in the world! I was relating our own experience with Mark's trailer. He is a farmer so he will need to use it for other things than just BBQ, but for someone like me who will compete with my family eventually (along with Holy and Oly's) and use the trailer for the feeding program our church has it makes better sense to get a trailer equipped rather than try and piece a trailer together. It is surprising how much it costs to do that!

6x10 enclosed with ramp and side door here...Interstate...$3000.00 new out the door. :thumb: Makes a great motel room too! :cool:

Headed for our first comp, but I am using a 5 x 8 dump trailer. (Very Basic) I can fit everything on it with lots of extra room. If going with a standard utility trailer I would look for a drop gate (My preferance) and make sure that it has sockets to drop in 2 x 4 side posts in. That way if you want to extend the sides higher all you have to do is drop in taller 2x's and slat boards. A co-worker has one and he has premade sides that he just slides in and out as needed. He also can take the side completely off and load from the side since there is no rail. Hope this helps.

6x10 enclosed with ramp and side door here...Interstate...$3000.00 new out the door. :thumb: Makes a great motel room too! :cool:

Yep, $1500-2000 used here in North Texas.

Don't get white. They black streaks are a pain in the :moon:

Our current trailer is a 6x10 enclosed we bought used for $1700. While it holds all of the equipment including the Lang and everything else, we are actually looking to move up to a toy hauler next year.

I wanted us to start out small and move up in case decided not to compete as much.

My friends (above) bigdogphin and jd mcgee and I all haul enclosed comp trailers up here in the pacific northwest. you know, where they invented rain?! so, open or closed, you make that call based on your experience but CAPACITY is the thing. I am in a 5x8 and i cook on three WSMs. I am right now in the market for a 6x12 duelly. The low head room in the 5x8 breaks my freakin back and since I am not usually hauling with a truck or suv but rather a 30ft class A motorhome, I want EVERYTHING in that trailer. the 5x8 is just too small. And PLEASE note that the more full you pack it, the harder it is to pack!!! Thats a huge consideration. At the end of a comp, i'm bushed. packing that thing with me having it so bloody full AND not being able to stand up in it...that kicks my asteric! Hence, I'm moving to a 6x12 and while i will buy a single axle if the price is right, i would prefer a duelly. I LOVE being able to walk into Jessie's (bigdophin) trailer and you've got plenty of headroom. Damn, that makes a difference! JD makes a great point, too about the "motel room" concept. (The cleaner you keep your pits, the better it smells in there. No right guard will NOT work. Those are NOT the pits I'm talking about. ) My next purchase will be a sign to hang on the door which says, "If the trailer is a'rockin' don't come a knockin'!"

Matt, I'd be a little leary putting a Backwoods Competitor on a small utility trailer. Especially a 4x8. With the hight of the Competitior, if you stand it straight up the trailer is going to be tippy. You'll need to lay it down and that won't be easy to pick up when you get to a comp or get back home.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at trailers. You'll what something you won't need to worry.

Back