Better or worse??

T

tennispro

Here is a picture of my first rib turn in Box compaired to my last contest. I think it is better, but still needs work. Please let me know what I should change.

Attachments

• ribturnin.jpg
    ribturnin.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_2474.jpg
    100_2474.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 100
tennispro,

The number one thing from what I can see is get the ribs up on a higher plane than the parsley. Right now they look like they are hiding in it. Ribs look great BTW - the back rib and the left rib look like they got dinged during placing in the box. Looks like the parsley may be a bit old (wilted) and mixed from different bunches. If you cut the stems off the entire bunch a 1/4 inch or so from the original cut and put them in water before prepping your boxes they will plump up a bit. Tighten up the parsley so you can't see stems sticking out.

Yeah, the greens were not the best. They were given to us as well as the meat at this contest. The ribs were not the best and out of four slabs, I was only able to find 6 ribs that looked okay.

I see what you mean about the ribs look like they are covered up almost.

Thanks for your ideas

What would you think about adding a rib to each side of the box? Unless my eyes fail me that's not parsley.

Sorry I only saw the top box. I stand corrected. As a judge I would give the box 8 for appearance.

I was at that same comp and would agree the ribs were pretty much useless and the parsley sucked....tried to make the best of it. Your box looks better than mine did. Wish we could have gotten full results instead of just total scores in each category. Perhaps they will get things fixed for next year. It was my first comp at I had a great time.

I am with Smokesman, they need to sit higher on top of the parsley. I think "the ribs" look pretty good in both boxes, the first box the front rib looks like a chunk is missing on the left side. I may be an oddity, I try to focus only on the meat. As such when the ribs are somewhat buried like the second box it is harder to judge "the meat".

David Keyse
CBJ #5112
Great Bend, KS

Back