That heavy smoker!!!

"in for a penny, in for a pound"

Ought to be a fun little journey. Keep us up on your progress.

Well, you could've waited on the clamps till ya find out if you have a sprung door. As Sonny Moberg explained, the pipe is rolled differently. When the door is cut out, if there's tension in the pipe, then the door springs.

I used the Lava Lock RTV silicon, what I had was red in color, but they make it in clear and black, wish I'd used black. Lay a bead on the cook chamber, all the way around, cover with plastic wrap, and then close the lid.

I bought tuning plates from Old Country, but honestly, they're more trouble than worth. Adjusting those plates just adds another variable. I've ran biscuit tests with them and without them, and really, moving the meats around has worked better for me. And after doing multiple biscuit tests, I quit worrying about end-to-end temps because that does not really tell the story of what's happening in cook chamber.

I always have the stack wide open, never close it. I used tin snips to cut around the damper. IDK why Old Country put such a short stack on this smoker, maybe it lowered shipping costs , IDK ?

YqzUeWk.jpg

I picked up 1 a few months back from academy also. I picked the best out of the 2 there which wasn't saying much. Everything about the smoker was out of square. Chamber door had huge gaps. Luckily I got mine for 750$ because it was miss labeled. Sold it and made most of money back. I will say I understand why people say stick burners are the best because the 1 brisket I cooked was the best I've ever done.

Went to academy last week and saw they had a smokehouse. It was put together much. Thinking about picking it up.

Wondered about that wide, stubby exhaust. Figured it must work ok- or they would have changed the design- even if they had to go with a bolt on. who knows?

not sure I'd ever pay for a Brazos- but if a "gently used" Pecos comes across CL, I might have to take a look see.

Well, you could've waited on the clamps till ya find out if you have a sprung door. As Sonny Moberg explained, the pipe is rolled differently. When the door is cut out, if there's tension in the pipe, then the door springs.

I used the Lava Lock RTV silicon, what I had was red in color, but they make it in clear and black, wish I'd used black. Lay a bead on the cook chamber, all the way around, cover with plastic wrap, and then close the lid.

I bought tuning plates from Old Country, but honestly, they're more trouble than worth. Adjusting those plates just adds another variable. I've ran biscuit tests with them and without them, and really, moving the meats around has worked better for me. And after doing multiple biscuit tests, I quit worrying about end-to-end temps because that does not really tell the story of what's happening in cook chamber.

I always have the stack wide open, never close it. I used tin snips to cut around the damper. IDK why Old Country put such a short stack on this smoker, maybe it lowered shipping costs , IDK ?

YqzUeWk.jpg

With that flute extension you have if I went that route, I would spray paint it flat black high temperature paint.

Well, I've thought about it but never got around to it, I don't worry much about aesthetics

Back