Pulling some Pork

MEAT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing some Pulled Pork for some employees at work....roughly 20 people. I've never gone through the process of smoking and pulling but I kind of get the idea after reading some of the posts here.
However my question deals with time. Is it possible to only smoke for half the time and finish the rest of the cooking in the oven.......and/or is it possible to start in the oven first and finish in the smoker last? Obviously it's possible to do both but does anyone recommend it to save time? I'm probably answering my own question but will I lose any flavor or taste?
And my other question is if I do smoke for the recommended time how long can I wait to pull the pork apart? I was thinking of smoking on Tues and pulling and serving on Wed.
Or if anyone can think of a better way (cheaper way) to serve 20 people?
Hope I was clear on my explanation?
Thanks for any help...

If you need to use the oven.....Smoke first... take it to 140 degrees to maximize the smoke penetration...then move it to the oven until you get in the 190-200 range or the bone can be cleanly pulled up with little resistance.

If you plan on serving the next day, just pull it after it is cooked to your liking and then store in fridge overnight and add sauce as desired and reheat. Otherwise it will take a lot longer to re-heat a whole butt that has not been pulled yet.

Pulled pork for 20 people is about as cheap as you can go at +/- $1/lb unless you plan on making PB&J sandwiches on white bread...:mrgreen:

Good luck MEAT !!

would not pretend to deal with cooks for a large group like yours. In my more limited cooks, I would choose to smoke first and oven-cook after. The smoke uptake early in the cook is more important ... which is why many foil after several hours and then finish out of the foil to firm the bark. Others can help you better with time gaps from smoking to finishing and pulling. I feel you will do well by timing so that you finish in the oven, allow some resting time in foil (cooler) for ~ one hour just prior to pulling and serving. If you are too busy with other prep, then some sacrifices must be made in terms of the final product.

Just my opinion here. I would smoke it in the smoker first for three to four hours then finish in the oven. I alway let the meat stand for about a 1/2 hour before I pull it, that way it can cool down some so you don't burn your hands. I always pull it before it cools much easier to pull that way.

With all that said If it's possible to do the hole cook on the smoker that would be the way I would do it. I think you get alittle better product.

But if there is time restraints you got to do what you got to do.

Now go have some fun Brother

MilitantSquatter said:
If you need to use the oven.....Smoke first... take it to 140 degrees to maximize the smoke penetration...then move it to the oven until you get in the 190-200 range or the bone can be cleanly pulled up with little resistance.

If you plan on serving the next day, just pull it after it is cooked to your liking and then store in fridge overnight and add sauce as desired and reheat. Otherwise it will take a lot longer to re-heat a whole butt that has not been pulled yet.

I agree, just smoke it first as long as you can, finish in the oven, let rest, then pull it. Make sure it has some fat or a little liquid in the pan when you are re-heating. It will turn out fine.

You have a couple options.
1. smoke first, pull at 160, wrap in foil, finish in oven. Pull at 200.
2. Do a hot and fast cook. Bubba or Jeff (or others) could probably enlighten you on how to do that in a trash can or a WSM etc. I did a brisket in that basic method for the playoff game... Started at 10:00 and had it sliced and ready before the start of the game. One of the most tender briskets I've ever cooked. Normally I cook a a brisket in around 10 hours.... so doing a 4 hr brisket was amazing to me. I'm sure the same can be done with a butt.... guys?

Once you get the meat cooked, smoker then oven. You can pull it and store for quite some time. I have always thought the best way to re-heat the meat is in the oven.

By the way is it possible to make the cook on Sunday? that way i would think you could do it all in the smoker.

MEAT said:
I'm thinking about doing some Pulled Pork for some employees at work....roughly 20 people. I've never gone through the process of smoking and pulling but I kind of get the idea after reading some of the posts here.
However my question deals with time. Is it possible to only smoke for half the time and finish the rest of the cooking in the oven.......and/or is it possible to start in the oven first and finish in the smoker last? Obviously it's possible to do both but does anyone recommend it to save time? I'm probably answering my own question but will I lose any flavor or taste?
And my other question is if I do smoke for the recommended time how long can I wait to pull the pork apart? I was thinking of smoking on Tues and pulling and serving on Wed.
Or if anyone can think of a better way (cheaper way) to serve 20 people?
Hope I was clear on my explanation?
Thanks for any help...

I found that heating ribs in the oven works great after the meat has been on the smoker for some time to gain flavor. I suppose the same would go for other parts of the hog.

About the only way I know of to feed 20 people cheaper would be chicken. I just bought leg quarters for $.79 / lb Wednesday night at my local Hy-Vee. Cooked 'em in the oven at 275 for four hours after coating in Fiorella's Jack Stack rub. Meat fell right off the bone - and it was De-licious!

Above all, Have Fun!

/Brother Dave

Thanks for your opinions and all the great ideas.
I still have about two weeks before I'll have to prepare anything.
But I'm hoping to do a test run next Wed with a buddy of mine.
Actually it was his idea but it's my smoker....so lucky me.

Pork can take higher temps well and still come out great; you can cook it at 350 without much problem. The smoke penetration/flavor won't be as prominent, but it's still very good (you can do it indirectly on a grill with great success). The smoke penetration doesn't stop at 140, but the smokering formation does. If you're going to smoke, that will get you more 'wow' factor if you don't sauce before serving.

Come to find out the company I work for may flip for the bill.
So, we maybe going to Plan B: Brisket and sausage.
Crossing my fingers.....but I will try some pulling of the pork come Tues.
I need the practice and I've got ideas....thanks to you all.

One thing you may notice when you're cooking the butt or picnic is it may seem to hang for a long time in the range of 160 degrees.....don't panic and don't try to jack up the heat to pass through it. This is the phase when the collagen and fats are rendering inside and that's what helps with the moistness and tenderness.......You'd more likely notice if you were cooking it on the pit at that point.....

Back