Beef Short Ribs ???

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have done them in the past but not for a while If I can find some nice ones how long should I figure @ 250-275 I know all of this depends on how meaty they are

Short ribs 5-6 hrs 275 is the magic temp and time. Past 6 hrs you are just drying out the ribs. This is for a full rack. Cut up 4hrs max.

Were they monster sized ribs? I usually smoke at 275* to 300*. Never had them go more than 6 hours. At lower temps, I have had them take forever.
Short rib "plate". Four bones. Close to a foot long. Had great pull back and looked good but they were tuff. Wood Ranch, a local restaurant advertises that they smoke theirs for 24 hours and they are awesome....like someone else sais, "brisket on a stick". I haven't tried it again.

Thanks everyone I was planning to these tomorrow but something has come up and may not have the time to do it Will keep all this great info and will definately put it to use :-D

Went to my favorite butcher today and got some beef short ribs These are huge 11 ribs about 4.8 lbs Plan to smoke tomorrow at about 250-260 for 5 to 6 hrs Will put either montreal steak seasoning or plowboys bovine bold

I got a slab from the butcher earlier this week (4 ribs, bones about 6" long, around 3.7 lbs. & 1.5" thick). I had a Tuscan herb combo leftover from another cook so coated the ribs with that last night (sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo), added salt & pepper. This morning, added some Texas BBQ Rub shortly before putting them on the smoker. I did a very basic cook - cooked at 225F, no wrap, no spritzing. I started checking for tenderness once they hit 190F. The two thinner ribs were tender at around 5 hours, 20 minutes. I cut them off and put the two thicker ribs back on. Those were tender about 35 minutes later. I just recently discovered BSR's and definitely plan on experimenting with them more.

The two "thin" ones:
D4B25B15-3295-4DE4-B02C-9B128ADB332B.jpg

I always allow for a 6 hour cook and 2 hour rest. Usually works out, I like to cook plate and shortribs until they fully render, until they are super probe tender, and squeeze more than pinch

Back