550 fuel tank to smoker

550 tank to smoker build

Heading to fill tanks today, finishing hinges hopefully! Still trying to figure out FB size? Trying to go smaller than 35x35x35. How small can I go???

It's always fun watching a new build!

Anyway, if my calculations are correct heres how I would do it!!!

Chamber volume-- 75.39 cu ft.
box needs to be 1/3 of that which is 25.13 cu ft.
The box I would build would be 3X3X3, which yeilds 27 cu ft.

Once you build the rack in it to let the ash fall through you would be just slightly over 25 cu ft.

Hopes this helps. I would recomend insulating the box, the cost for the insulation is around $40 plus the metal for the outer box but it really help with heat control and it uses alot less wood.

Just a thought. When I built mine and cut the door out it "sprung" about 3/4 inch, guess it was relearing tension from years of use as a pressure tank. Anyhow, you might want to check the fit, especially after that hot burn, if you need to tweak it a little it would probably be easier before weldingbthe hinges on. A little care now should help insure a good airtight fit.

dwfisk, it did spring about 3/4, how do I fix that? The lip where I would weld the hinges did drop. Not sure how to fix it?

Muscrat, is that calc. 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet? How do I figure cubic feet in a 550 gallon tank? 72"x48"

Either way you look at it thats going to be a Bigggg A*% Firebox! LOL Looks great bro.. sorry i forgot to post the pics.. got home and KO'd i see you got them on here though.. Looks Great!

Just so we are speaking the same language, when you say "spring" & "sag" I'm picturing what mine did; it opened up a little to a new larger radius. I used a continuous piano hinge across the whole top opening. Welded it up tight, put a 2x4 longer than the door is wide at about the midpoint of the opening and forced the bottom edge to pinch in with straps, chains and load binders a little at a time. It worked but it was a pain in the arse, not an optimal fix. One of the other recent build threads had a pretty good solution, I'll try and find it. As I remember it was essentially a pipe clamp to pull it back into round. Maybe someone else can add a helping hand here.

Here is the link I was thinking about, look about 1/2 way down in the pics & narrative.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2228570&postcount=18

Maybe Pappy can help out. Looks like a much better solution than mine.

Last edited:
bent angle iron fixed mine bro.. we cut lil wedges in the 1 inch angle iron and bent it using a block of wood and a hammer.. and welded those to the doors.. that bent it a little to much.. then we cut slits in the angle iron. to let the door pull it back... and rewelded the slit closed... worked like a charm.. but we didn't have a torch.. just grinder and welder.. and some clamps...

I'm sorry this post is late, I built a smoker out of one of those beasties myself.. I had no issue with it "springing or sagging". I made the lid's back cut first. I then welded my hinges onto the lid and body before making the rest of the cut. Alignment was perfect. I put my fire box below the main tank, 1/4" steel 4 ft long 16"square with an access door on the end. My actual "firebox" is a pick-up truck fuel tank with one long side removed. By building it separate from the firebox proper I can totally remove the fire at any time by opening the end door and pulling the fire out with with a hook. This makes it VERY easy to add more wood or totally remove the heat if necessary. The sliding door also acts as the damper. Inside, I have two movable heat deflectors that run the full length of the smoker. They are controlled by levers on the outside of the tank. I can roast over an open fire or close them off and smoke. It's an ugly thang, but extremely efficient. I have cooked at least 50 pigs an that beast. It is very easy to controll.

The tank, where I made the top cut for the door. Everything else is ok. I was thinking of using those jack stands, the ones that you use for a house. I figure I can twist that bad boy up and push it back out. What do you guys think??? Need Help fast, cause losing time on my build!

I personally don't have any advice to provide other than to say it might be useful to post a pic of what you are up against. Many times having a visual will help get the ideas flowing.... Good luck with your build!

Also, since I have already posted the video link of my build using a rolled exact replica of your tank there. I have ALWAYS enjoyed my baffle system and duel vents that allowed me to smoke at two different temps.

Back