couple of newbie questions, and a cool update

C

capnamerca

What is "pork ... carnitas"? Before reading the label, this package of meat looked like a small butt, but it was labelled carnitas.

What are "pork grilling strips"? I've seen these alongside the pork ribs in my local HEBs ... looks like it might be 2-3 skirt pieces from ribs, but I don't know ...

Now for the cool thing. I'm a pretty serioues rook when it comes to smokin'. However, by virtue of having my smoker for a bit, and a buddy of my wife's only having his for a short time, I'm becoming a teacher next tuesday! I'm doing a brisket (smallish, 9lbs or so), a pork loin, and probably 4-6 racks of ribs for National Night Out here in our neighborhood. I'm working from the house as I tend the fire. Our friend will be coming over in the morning, and watching me season the meat, build a fire, get the pit up to temp, maintain that temp, check meat consistency/doneness, foil ribs + brisket, etc. I'm totally excited. I know I still have a TON to learn, but this site, plus some trial and error has taught me tons, and I get to pass that on. It's gonna be great. The only downside? I can't drink the cold beer, since i'm technically "working" ... tradeoffs, for good Q:).

Carnitas are just pieces of pork. Carnita literally means, little meat in Spanish. So that may explain why your last girlfriend called you that. :)

The bags labeled pork for carnitas usually have the pork already cut into chunks.

Grilling strips are the brisket trimmed from pork spare ribs. HEB runs those down here all the time for 99cents/lb.

carnitas

will the carnitas cook as a single piece, or is it more of a searing/stew meat? THx ...

They may be whole, but most times they look like stew meat.

jgh1204 said:
Carnitas are just pieces of pork. Carnita literally means, little meat in Spanish. So that may explain why your last girlfriend called you that. :)

LOL. Yeah, I bought those once as I thought it was pork shoulder. They do cook up fine in the smoker, but they do better as cuban pork and this stuff is good. Got a lot of hints from Qman on how to prepare this.

1 1/2 lb Pork shoulder or butt cut
-into 1-1/2" cubes
1/3 c Vinegar
2 tb Soy sauce
1 ts Salt
3 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Small bay leaf
1/4 ts Pepper
1 tb Sugar
1/2 c Water
2 tb Cooking oil

1. Combine all ingredients except cooking oil in a pot and let stand for
at least 30 minutes.

2. Simmer covered for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Drain and reserve
the sauce.

3. Heat cooking oil in a skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to a
serving dish.

4. Pour off all remaining oil from skillet. Add reserved sauce and cook
for a minute or two scraping all browned bits sticking to pan. Pour sauce
over meat and serve.

Variation: May be done with chicken or a combination of chicken and pork.
Beef or chicken livers may be added too if desired.

Preparation time: 10 minutes plus marinating time. Cooking time: 1 hour,
15 minutes Serves: 4 to 6

Recipes by Dennis Santiago, TWS bbs (1-310-676-0492), formatted by Manny
Rothstein (1/24/94)

Kevin's notes: 2/19/2006. Just delicous as is. Don't mess with success.
3/22/2006. Still

Back