I Wish Pellet Poopers...

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
...were better insulated. But then again The Pellet companies would sell less pellets if they were. Maybe some interprising individual could come up with a retrofit insulation kit. I don't mind smoking in the summer but these winter smokes really chew through your pellet inventory. Maybe I should just get a BGE but they are exspensive new.

use a welders blanket?
or the wool they use on brick ovens for insulation.....

I use a wool blanket over the top of my country smoker. I am sure this helps but I think the main problem is the cool air being blown into the combustion chamber/cooking compartment. I am trying to work out a system that would use a flexible duct that is connected to a metal heat capturing device (kind of like how there used to be tube grates for a fireplace with a fan that blows through the tubes to blow warm air into the living quarters). The heat collector would set on the top/back area and would warm the intake air. The warmer it gets the warmer the internal temp should get in theory anyway.

Stick Burners Rule!!!!!!!
Just thought I would get everyone cranked up. Hey, it's my job here.
Smoke That!

...were better insulated.

Maybe you need to be specific, are you talking Traegers?

I know Cookshack/FE series have 800 degree insulation.
I believe the Louisiana cooks have some also.

The blanket trick will work for Traegers.

In a cabinet style cooker, the FEC-100 is very insulated and efficent.
In the pellet grill area (www.pelletcooker.com) the Fast Eddy grill is also completely double walled. It too, is very efficient with pellets.

On a Louisiana Grill, the lids are double walled. On the Country Smoker line, they are just like a traeger -- so a welding blanket is needed. For the CS, however, you have to fabricate it so that the air can get out of the exhaust ports on the rear of the cooker.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, it's a traeger. I think I can borrow a welding blanket from work. That FE sounds like something I need.

I have a Lil Tex and a FEC.

The Lil Tex cooks just fine in low outside temps.

It does burn a bunch of pellets though.
I am thinking of getting a weldiing blanket for BOTH of the cold days down here each year :lol: :lol:

Both are great cookers for what they were designed, and priced, for.

TIM

I have cooked on my FEC in near freezing temps and it takes a bit more pellets but not enough to worry about.

I have cooked on my FEC in near freezing temps and it takes a bit more pellets but not enough to worry about.

Nice pic of BBq Bubba and Chinesebob on your avatar.
Laurel_hardy.jpg

I'm going to look at welding blankets. It will have to wait since that a-hole furnace repair guy ripped me off for $435.00 today. His work didn't fix the problem so he came back and wanted another $300. That's nearly half of a new unit.

Wesman61,

I see you use a Smith & Wesson pellet smoker. Is that pretty much a re-branded Traeger? I have heard of them but am having a hard time finding information on them (Smith & Wesson).

Wesman61,

I see you use a Smith & Wesson pellet smoker. Is that pretty much a re-branded Traeger? I have heard of them but am having a hard time finding information on them (Smith & Wesson).
Yeah, it's a Traeger. S&W went out of business I've been told.

Stick Burners Rule!!!!!!!
Just thought I would get everyone cranked up. Hey, it's my job here.
Smoke That!

Amen brother! My stick burner doesn't need no stinkin, blanket!
And while I'm out there tending the fire in the cold (It was -5 degrees here at 7:30 this morning) I have a bottle of whiskey to keep me warm! LOL :icon_smil

Back