Ignorance and what is and is not BBQ

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
I seems to me that we are faced with the “problem” that English is a living and growing language. Clamor was once a kind of sword, now it’s expanded to include kind of explosive. Corvette was once a kind of military ship, now it’s expanded to include a kind of car. Mercedes was once a proper name for a girl, now it’s also expanded to include a kind of car, green was once just a color, now it’s expanded to include a movement and a life style. Barbeque may very well once have been just about pork (I don’t know, I wasn’t there); but, it seems to me that it has expanded beyond that.

I am going with Big Al's definition, except substituting my smoker for his.

I seems to me that we are faced with the “problem” that English is a living and growing language. Clamor was once a kind of sword, now it’s expanded to include kind of explosive. Corvette was once a kind of military ship, now it’s expanded to include a kind of car. Mercedes was once a proper name for a girl, now it’s also expanded to include a kind of car, green was once just a color, now it’s expanded to include a movement and a life style. Barbeque may very well once have been just about pork (I don’t know, I wasn’t there); but, it seems to me that it has expanded beyond that.

One look at Spanish as a language and we know that languages evolve, and the BIGGEST influence of how it is used and adapted and morphed is the impact of the people that use it have on it.

English on the other hand is a non-romance language that wants desperately to be one.

I'm gotta go watch the Primal Grill 2009 episodes before the OL deletes them from the DVR. You guys battle it out! Will check in later when when I need a reality check.

I'm not afraid to say it....Donnie is my hero.:biggrin:

Oh....and I like the McRib. I don't know what it is.....but it's the kind of thing that I'll eat on Superbowl Sunday along with wings, nachos and pizza rolls.

And then crap like a goose the next day.

My point is just as I have stated.

BBQ is an act, a verb. For a couple of hundred years when people said let's eat BBQ, they meant pulled pork. I guess you could say that they were wrong using the term in that manner. I am not really arguing that. I am just saying that traditionally, BBQ is pork. Only in the past few decades has BBQ been anything other than that. Not so hard to grasp really.

Classic! Is there anything you can't smoke? Though, in a state of mind influenced by the agave plant, I made the horrible mistake of trying one of the Mac n Don's Supper Club's new Angus (cough cough) burgers. So wrong. Really, Even in my "condition," I couldn't finish it.

BBQ is an act, a verb. For a couple of hundred years when people said let's eat BBQ, they meant pulled pork. I guess you could say that they were wrong using the term in that manner. I am not really arguing that. I am just saying that traditionally, BBQ is pork. Only in the past few decades has BBQ been anything other than that. Not so hard to grasp really.
:icon_pissed this guy !!!

I am not a greenhorn. I am not new to this at all. It is wrong to make the assumption that just because I recently happened across this forum that I just started cooking using traditional methods. I have simply just started using the UDS. Previously, we always built pits temporarily. Cinder blocks, tin and re bar. Works great, labor intensive but easy and cheap. So not a greenhorn. You should stop with the personal attacks. Most of what I have stated is history. Most of what I keep getting back is opinion. They don't mix well.

I didn't get all my knowledge from the internet either and I resent the insinuation. Records from the first Spanish forays into the new world are housed at the University of Florida at Gainesville. You can get access to them if you have a scholarly interest I am sure. I had someone who was functional in 16th century Spanish translate some things for me several years back while I was working on a Native American history project for the local university.

I am not a greenhorn. I am not new to this at all. It is wrong to make the assumption that just because I recently happened across this forum that I just started cooking using traditional methods. I have simply just started using the UDS. Previously, we always built pits temporarily. Cinder blocks, tin and re bar. Works great, labor intensive but easy and cheap. So not a greenhorn. You should stop with the personal attacks. Most of what I have stated is history. Most of what I keep getting back is opinion. They don't mix well.

I didn't get all my knowledge from the internet either and I resent the insinuation. Records from the first Spanish forays into the new world are housed at the University of Florida at Gainesville. You can get access to them if you have a scholarly interest I am sure. I had someone who was functional in 16th century Spanish translate some things for me several years back while I was working on a Native American history project for the local university.

Amen - we're all here to share and learn. Nice to see another FL presence by the way!

Please stop repeating the same old stale statement and provide us with some references. You know, real books and/or other accepted authorities as others have done that support your statements, not simple repetition of something that apparently, judging from the complete lack of folks willing to back you up here, is only in your particular belief system.

If it is traditional, as you have repeatedly stated, surely you can back that up with some authoritative facts that don't scream "I told you, so therefore it must be true". You aren't old enough to speak of a 300 year old tradition from personal experience; show us the facts if you want us to change our minds.

Amen - we're all here to share and learn. Nice to see another FL presence by the way!

Thanks I'm not in Florida anymore, I'm back in SC now. But if I couldn't be here, I would love to be there.

Zydeco,
Are Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English dictionary not real books? See this is why I think this is a gang up party. You must not have even read what I posted earlier. Seems like you're just jumping on the bandwagon. I have presented facts and their sources.

Some people make quite the first impression!

(I'm sorry, but snarky is all I've got right now)

I just found this. It's just to show you that this is what we think of BBQ in South Carolina. It's not 100% accurate but a pretty good read. I have read or heard most of what he says for the better part of my life. We are not fans of this new fangled stuff some of you are calling BBQ.

http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

Consider that 100% opinion. This is not a referencing source.

The internet. Oh that's a great source. A SC website telling us that anything not cooked like SC says is not BBQ.

Yup, you've convinced me!

If I post excerpts from a couple of books written by others that claim the origins are not what you state, will you accept them as fact?

Since I'm really tired of dealing with this, I'm going to go ahead and admit that you are correct.

Thanks I'm not in Florida anymore, I'm back in SC now. But if I couldn't be here, I would love to be there.

Zydeco,
Are Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English dictionary not real books? See this is why I think this is a gang up party. You must not have even read what I posted earlier. Seems like you're just jumping on the bandwagon. I have presented facts and their sources.

So I should refer all history questions to a couple of dictionaries? Not a gang up party, and I read the entire thread before posting. If you are going to cite historical references and the best you can come up with is a couple of dictionaries, I would suggest that your argument is pretty weak.

As for the bandwagon, you'll notice that I didn't tell you that your definition was incorrect, but merely asked you to cite reasonable sources. Since you disdain Dictionary.com as current English rather than historical English, let's go back to Websters' and Oxford. Neither of their definitions said anything about BBQ being only pork, and most of your other statements regarding history aren't included there either.

You arguments are weak, as is your logic. Attempting to dodge my request for acceptable historical references beyond a dictionary by accusing me of jumping on the bandwagon is a failing argument. It's clear you are attempting to win this particular argument by wearing us all down with your constant repetition of "I believe it, so it must be so". At this point, it is clear that no amount of other evidence is going to convince you to come off your beliefs; I believe I will go have a beer and read other posts from folks who have something worthwhile to offer.

At this point, it is clear that no amount of other evidence is going to convince you to come off your beliefs; I believe I will go have a beer and read other posts from folks who have something worthwhile to offer.

He wore me down! I'm going to go smoke a brisket, grill some sausages and BBQ a pork butt. I will not be discouraged...after all I'm a member of the BBQ/Grill/Smoking Brethren!

Barbacoa was made with cow cheeks BEEF, and goat (Cabrito) in differing regions. It's basically what they had or what was regionally available.

Well if you read the Oxford English dictionary quote instead of glancing it over, you will see that they seem to say that the term is a bastardization of barbacoa since the Arawak indians had an almost identical word that they applied to the rack that they cooked on. The following link leads to a list of words that are attributed as coming from various indigenous American groups but have made their way into the English language.

http://www.askoxford.com/globalenglish/borrowings/map_02/?view=uk

I told a story once of leaving Texas and going into Tennessee and the Carolinas and refusing to eat pork BBQ for the same reason you say Beef is not BBQ. Ignorance and inflexibility. I can say that about myself so please don't get all half-cocked and pissy 'cuz I directed it at you.

Well now you know the truth. But your usage of the term ignorance is wrong because as you can now clearly see, I know what BBQ is and has always been. Also, this is not a theory that I have. It is simply historical fact that anyone who is able to read should be able to understand.

I am sorry if you think I am abrasive, I think it's the other way around. Stick to the facts and don't try to restate what I have posted in different ways until you get the results you want. It wont work as you can disagree with facts all you want. You just can't change them.

Back