I feel the need….. The need for Q!

It shouldn't be dried out, but I think you'll want to go with your method that you can count on when doing something for 75 people. Then test on your own and see if you like it. (wouldn't want 75 people pissed at you).

David in FL was doing alot of loins for like 200 a month or two back. But I'm not sure if it was oven, smoker, grills, etc. Think he might have tried the higher temps.

Hope this helps.

Sorry Grasshopper, this became the pork loin thread.

David in Florida, any input? Did you try the higher temperatures? Back on topic, Grasshopper, what did you end up cooking?
StL Mike

I avoided the chicken and turkey. Its been to soon since T day. Call it a déjà vu thing. I chose the pork butt and brisket. I used 100% pure hickory.

Pulled pork Q and brisket yummy!

Nice score on the wood. Looking closely at the first photo, there appears to be the ghost of a Schaffer can on the dash board by the steering wheel.

I just want to make sure that if I cook it to 165*, foil to 190*, and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours till serving time, I won't end up with dried out pork.
StL Mike

It won't dry out if you wrap it and spray it :D
I, indeed, did pork loin (yes, the cryovac mods!) and I had to use an oven. I figured 3 servings per pound and bought appropriately. Fortunately I overbought and overprepared and so had leftovers for the chef :D
I cooked them to about 165 and foiled them and continued cooking up to about 200. Then I turned off the ovens and let them cool to about 160 or so. I didn't use apple juice or cider for mop since I was making
gravy to go with some other dishes -- if I was cooking at home or 'quing I would have used apple cider, apple juice, or my usual
pork mop/spray.

Good luck -- for 75 you'll need about 25-30 pounds of pork -- I usually try to overprepare (assuming I even have a decent estimate!) so you
might want to go 30-35 pounds (raw weight - you'll have some shrinkage but pork loins usually hold up pretty well).

Thanks David.

Hopefully just in time for Mike's weekend cook.

35 pounds of pork loin, at 4 pound loins (2 per shelf) Thats 8 loins (couple bigger than 4#'s) would easily fit in the beast. Hell, 2 per shelf, you can get easily 5 shelfs with penty of space.

If you use your beast, I would stagger, and rotate. I have done this before. Shelf 1: l l 2: = etc (hard to draw ) I mean two horizontal, two vertical, then you move the racks around every hour or two. Heat shield if you need to . I am assuming you do, cuz it is farking 16 right now as I type on my Nu Temp digital base that has the remote pout in the yard.

Good Luck, and plaese post your results

Bill, David,
Thanks for confirming my game plan for Saturday. I had already decided to try Bill's recipe. Sam's club has 35 lbs of pork loin set aside for me. I plan on dusting them with either salt, pepper, garlic powder or a light coating of Byron's Butt rub (Chruch Christmas party (ladies present). I'm still thinking about the wood to use. I'm leaning toward a mix of pecan and apple. Cherry? Hickory? Oak? Any thoughts guys? Either way, I will take it up to 165*, spray with apple juice and foil until 190*, and then into a cooler for a few hours. I am making sliced fresh sweet potatoes with a citrus brown sugar/pecan glaze. I plan on making extra citrus glaze, minus the pecans and use it for a sauce on the sliced pork loan. I'm cooking on my Backwoods Smoker, which has six shelves, with the shelves being a little larger than the Bandera's. I plan on spray with apple juice and rotating shelves every two hours. I plan on getting the meat on around 9AM, with dinner at 6:30. The weather is supposed to be in the high teens/low 20s with snow starting at daybreak. 3 to 4 inches forcasted. Does this sound like fun or what? I'm glad the Backwoods is well insulated and comes up to/holds the temperature easily. If anyone sees any holes in my plan, PLEASE let me know.
StL Mike

Look on the bright side; at least your beer won't get warm.

I'm going for it too. Snow flurries out of the forecast for tomorrow :roll:

Brisket, chicken thighs, beef country style ribs and a buttload of baby backs. Then grill some turkey burgers and boneless chicken BOOBIES on the Patio charcoal grill. I'm still undecided on the wood...but narrowed it down to pecan, mesquite, hickory, apple or cherry :lol:

I'll have a few beers and decide tonight on the wood. Made the fire grate expanded metal mod last night. What a difference in the amount of space for fuel! And no coals falling down off the fire grate to the bottom.

:lol: Ok guys, If I wore a hat regularly, I would have to take it off to Bill. Saturday I cooked 35 pounds of pork loin per Bill's instructions; rub was just salt and pepper, smoker temperature at 235*, wood was pecan and apple, outside temperature in the high 20s, snowing. The Backwoods came right up to temperature and held without my touching it for over 6 hours. Cooked the loins to 165* (about 6 hours), foiled and let it go until 190*, about another hour and a half. Into a cooler for a few hours. When I opened the cooler to get the meat out to serve, there was about 2 inches of juices in the bottom. I could have taken the knives off of the tables like Bill suggested...you sure didn't need a knife to cut the pork. Bill, thanks for the recipe. I'm glad I threw caution to the wind and used your recipe instead of the one I was familiar with. Serving 75, I did think about it for a while. Thanks again.
StL Mike :p

I'm blushing.

Congrats, and I'm glad I got a convert.

But in tipping a hat to me, its a simulataneous tip to TK Tommy Kendall.

165, foil to 190, is TK's signature brisket method. I just applied it to pork loin.

To tell you the truth, I use that for everything. Round Eye roast, pork butts, etc.

Everything goes to 165, wrapped to 190 (roasts and such)

Love that 2 inches of juice comment. My cooler always smells like pork loin now.

Its fall apart good!!!

Thanks for the kind words Mike!

TK, didn't mean to leave you out! I do use your DP marianade and cook to 165*, foil and go for 190* to 200* for brisket, but never thought to try it with a pork loin. Thanks,
StL Mike

No sweat. My method is simply a slight variation of someone else's. So the hat tipping goes like dominos.

Back