Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ (IL) Sept. 14th

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
GLEN ELLYN BACKYARD BBQ COOK-OFF & BAGS TOURNAMENT

Glen Ellyn’s Backyard BBQ Cook-Off returns for a 5th year of food, fun and festivity in a relaxed, downhome atmosphere. Glen Ellyn’s Backyard BBQ Cook-Off & Bags Tournament takes place Saturday, September 14th in beautiful Downtown Glen Ellyn, Il.

Our event is open to the public from 10:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and there is no cost to attend. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own chairs, relax, and hang out for the afternoon while listening to live blues.

Hot BBQ and ice-cold drinks will be available for purchase.

The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ was inspired by a few local residents’ musings and trash talk over who made the best BBQ. What started as a neighborhood block-party has grown and evolved into not only the culinary community fun stop on the Village calendar, but also into the largest non-sanctioned BBQ event in the State of Illinois.

The event will be held in the Glenwood Ave. parking lot - Downtown Glen Ellyn.

For more information or to sign up to play bags see http://www.glenellynbackyardbbq.com

Net proceeds benefit Bridge Communities of Glen Ellyn.

How many teams do you get? unfortunately it is always up against Silver Lake, MI.

Good luck

It's ribs and best dish. Not a qualifier.

But, it's a great competition and well run! Tom and his crew do a great job.

Thanks Scottie! We have 62 teams competing.

Thanks Ron! We try very hard to ensure that it's of quality. One reason we had asked you and the mrs. to judge. :clap2: Several Brethren are participating in one form or another.

Had several judges cxl on me this morning and am looking for one more well qualified individual to judge best dish and ribs. If you're a CBJ or have cooked in a competition, give me a jingle at 630-890-0465. I will need you there by 1:45pm.

It's ribs and best dish. Not a qualifier.

But, it's a great competition and well run! Tom and his crew do a great job.

I'm still trying to figure out how all this qualifier, governor letters, and so on work. What does it mean to be a state championship?

These are what I saw.

http://www.glenellynbackyardbbq.com/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hampionship-status-2013-05-17,0,5271797.story

Is there someplace that this is all explained? How the jack draws works. What make it qualify. etc?

Here is the Jack criteria...

The Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue is a competition like none other in the world.
• It is solely “by invitation only” with U.S. competitors limited by the criteria below. Grand Champions from the previous year’s Jack Daniel’s Invitational, the American Royal Open Competition, the annual Memphis in May and Houston Livestock & Barbecue competitions receive automatic entries.
• There is no entry fee for the competitors.
• Invitations are sent only to the “Grand Champion” of qualifying contests; no “pass downs” are allowed.
• Every U.S. team invited must earn its way to Lynchburg and into “The Jack.”
• International teams are encouraged to compete but may not include members who are U.S. citizens unless their primary residence is in the country they represent.

Criteria Effective September 1, 2009:
• To receive an invitation, teams must cook in the categories of pork, chicken, and beef to be considered that contest’s grand champion. In a KCBS-sanctioned competition, teams must cook the required four categories.
• If a contest is the only contest in a state, it should have a minimum of 15 competing teams.
• First-year contests that have a “state championship” proclamation from the governor of the state in which the contest is held should have a minimum of 15 competing teams. After the first year, a contest will be considered an “established” contest.
• Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation should have a minimum of 25 competing teams.
• Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

Any request for an exception to the above criteria must be sent in writing to Debbie Christian

FYI:
• After a team has competed at “The Jack” nine times, the tenth year they win a qualifying competition, they will be invited without going through any draws.
• Any team that wins seven qualifying competitions within the current barbecue season (September 1 – August 31) – we’re the Old No. 7 Brand, right! – will be invited without going through any draws.
It is the team’s responsibility to provide Debbie Christian with the appropriate information (i.e. dates competed at “The Jack” or “grand championships” won that year).

I think this is still current. In this case the first criterion is the most important.

A state championship proclamation is a proclamation from the Governor that the competition is a state championship. that's all.

Here are the current American Royal criteria...

QUALIFICATION CRITERIA SUMMARY FOR US TEAMS
Qualifying Period: August 1, 2012-July 31, 2013 - All exceptions must be approved in advance by the American Royal.

Invitations:
Only Grand Champions are invited. No pass downs will be accepted. Invitations will be extended to the qualified team name/head cook combination. Should the team name or head cook change after qualifying, the team MUST enter the American Royal Invitational under the qualifying combination. Should the same head cook have qualified with more than one team, he/she may enter the KC Masterpiece American Royal Invitational Contest only one time.
An invitation will be mailed from the American Royal to the qualifiers upon receipt of the enclosed forms and requested documentation. If an Invitational team would like to also compete in the Open Contest, it is MANDATORY for that team to complete the Open Application ahead of time so a space can be reserved.

Qualifying Contest Criteria:
Contests MUST have at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
State proclamations will no longer be required. In lieu of a state proclamation, all contests MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests MUST be open to all contestants.
A state with only one contest MUST have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered, and MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests must be open to all contestants.
Contest categories submitted for judging MUST include beef, pork, and poultry to be considered a qualifier. To be considered a “competing team,” for the qualifying contest, teams MUST submit entries for ALL contest categories required to be the Grand Champion or overall winner of that event.
The American Royal reserves the right to request contest results for authentication from contest organizer, to include judging results and total number of teams competing in the event.

Sanctioning Body Criteria:
The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period.
The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.

Automatic Entries Go To:
*Grand Champion of previous year’s American Royal Open Contest
*Grand Champions of previous five (5) year’s American Royal/KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest
*Grand Champion of previous year’s Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue
*Grand Champion of current year’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Contest
*Grand Champion of current year’s Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest

For more information, visit: http://www.americanroyal.com/events

A state championship proclamation is a proclamation from the Governor that the competition is a state championship. that's all.

Thanks that helps a lot. So being a state championship and a letter from the governor doesn't really mean anything?

Thanks that helps a lot. So being a state championship and a letter from the governor doesn't really mean anything?

Sure it means something... you can hang the proclamation on your wall and declare yourself a state champ for a year! It's bragging rights, and who doesn't like to brag a little bit.

I'm excited to compete tomorrow at this event! See all you Brethren there. My banner just came in the mail, so stop by and say hi.

we will be there judging as well..do you still need judges tom for the ones that cancelled?

Arranging judges is probably the most difficult part of the event. Had 4 cxl in the last two days. We are still in need of 1 judge.

ITBFQ and BB-Kuhn make sure you introduce yourself when I'm walking around checking teams in. I'll be the guy wearing the black polo with "Pig Daddy" written on it! Look forward to meeting you!

All ready to cook tomorrow! Looking forward to hanging out and competing. Come by and visit me and my team 312 BBQ

Back