Going to give it a try.

MAP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been doing alot of practicing and nervous as all hell. But I am pulling the trigger and entering my first Comp. in Fredericksburg Va. on May 5th.

Team Name we just came up with this past weekend is Southern Maryland Smokers.

We will be cooking on our Lang 84 and our XLBGE.

I just want to thank all of you on this site it is very helpful. I have been reading for along time but just joined a few weeks ago.

Just focus on enjoying the experience and those nerves will melt away.

Thanks!!
Been working on that alot the last 2 cooks I have done I practiced like it was a comp firts one was late on Chicken but the second went as smooth as could be expected.

Timing is Everything and Keep it Simple

The best advice I can give is get your big meats off early. Resting is your friend, and you don't want to be worried about getting your brisket finished when you are wrapping ribs.

The second part is probably the hardest. Using a checklist like the one at smokin guns.com, pare down your equipment list to include what you need...and nothing more. Keep it organized in a crate or two and leave all the gimmicky bear paws, mops, grill tool sets with huge forks you'll never use, at home.

Eric

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
Good Luck! Take some time to introduce yourself to the teams around you. Odds are they will be more than willing to give you a hand and answer questions. Also at the cooks meeting if there is a team that offers some mentoring take advantage.

• Thanks
Welcome and good luck. I plan on doing my first solo comp sometime this summer! Boogie has been very kind and offered to mentor me for a few comps early in the season. Maybe I will do the BBQ Brethren event solo.

Good Luck! I just did my first comp last month and it sure is great to get that first one out of the way!

Get as much done at home if possible. Check your list twice, three times even. Be prepared in case things don't come out as at home.

Good advise someone gave me: Doesn't matter who else is cooking there, the only person your cooking against is yourself.

Cook just like you practiced at home. Best of Luck!

Make sure you do at least one complete practice run...Set up everything you have in your backyard and cook all meats(Ie not 1 rib 1 pork butte 1 brisket and 6 thighs..cook as much meat as you would for the actual comp...4 racks of ribs 4 pork buttes 16 thighs and a brisket). Make sure you cook them in accordance with proposed turn in time. You will learn alot about how your setup does/does'nt fit together and give you a chance to optimize it before an actual comp...and as mentioned a few times already get a checklist..get a checklist....get a checklist

Cook just like you practiced at home. Best of Luck!

You're supposed to practice for these things? :shock: :heh:
Seriously, good luck to you MAP! Try to work a nap in there somewhere also, as a comp is not much fun when you're totally sleep deprived! Even two hours helps tremendously. :thumb:

Thanks all!!! My team constists of one very good friend and his wife and my wife and I so I hope to have enough help.
One question I have is I plan taking my camper to all of the events while my partner pulls the cooker. Will my rig at 38 foot be too big and will I need a generator to run it?

Good luck!! Last year I did my first comps. Just a couple of non KCBS backyards. I ended up doing pretty well but I was nervous. The checklist is a VERY good idea. Being at the comp and realizing you dont have your Knife or cutting board is no fun!
Best of luck to you! Maybe someday I'll get to compete against you!

Your camper size shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you get a larger spot if available, or contact the organizer to ensure you are good. If you have a generator, take it! Power at comps an be unreliable at times, nice to have backup.

• Thanks
Back