Funding your competitions

ipls3355

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I really would like to do more competitions, but between entry fees, food, supplies, and the price of gas, your looking upwards of $500 per competition.

So is everyone independently wealthy? Or are there some creative ways to pay for competition weekends?

I really would like to do more competitions, but between entry fees, food, supplies, and the price of gas, your looking upwards of $500 per competition.

So is everyone independently wealthy? Or are there some creative ways to pay for competition weekends?

Overtime. Or you could find a good sponsor, I remember reading several informative threads on luring sponsors.

I knock over convenience stores now and then to help out. :)

Actually, having a teammate helps, and I sell links on my blog or sponsorships for the team. I think we're about to get our first real sponsor at a decent level, which will pay for about 2 competitions.

I am currently looking into doing some catering on the side for some extra cash. I am in California so getting through the red tape may be hard. Another idea was to just charge friends and family to cook some meats for them personally. I figure that would be a good way to earn some extra moolah without getting in trouble. We are a first year team, and it is adding up. Banners, EZ ups, coolers, pans, utensils, lighting and all sorts of other "little" things add up. Good luck.

Jason

I sell brisket dinners for $10 a pop to make extra cash. I also share expenses with my teammates.

I've been buying/selling stuff on Craigslist and eBay to try and get a few things together so I can do some more comps. So far I have sold a bunch of those patio kitchens and some knives. I've covered the cost of my trailer and am working on entry fees.

This summer I hope to make/sell some UDSs. I'm hoping by late summer to have enough to cover 2-3 comps this fall.

I sell rub and sauce... wanna buy some? :wink:

Actually, we have some good sponsors. Alewel's Country Meats provides all of the brisket and chicken. Minimally Invastive Surgical Hospital is giving us $1500 for the Royal. Missouri Pork Association provides a free entry to the World Pork Expo contest. Stein & Stewart Genetics provides $100 cash. County Line Auto Parts give us $200 cash. I have another business that is going to be a cash sponsor. A friend of mine gives us spices at cost for advertising his travel website.

$500 - You travel cheap!

Last one hit me for nearer to $1,000. We sell about $50,000 of bbq on the side every year. Yes we have health dept. permits, vending licenses, insurance, etc. That takes care of the first $2,000 profit. Siphon off another $5,000 for contests and costs, a little for our trouble and so much for th eextra money.

Cash in part of your 401K.
Sell your RV.

Then, someday when you have used up all your resources, borrow on the house or from the kids.

No need to leave all that stuff to them anyway :lol:

If you want it bad enough, there is a way! :oops:

I do feel your pain. Due to "geography", we normally spend in excess of $750 and it just goes up from there.

But, hey--It's only money!

TIM

We have more than a few sponsors and each year at the first cook off (260 teams) we though one hell of a party for them to keep them coming back. Plus at every cook-off after that their names are everywhere.

Doing our first comp on the 25 - 26 of this month. I'm already in about 400 bucks and haven't even got the meat bought yet:roll: . Most of the expense is a one time thing though (ez up, chairs, tables etc.)

I'll make a decision after this one as to whether it is going to be cost effective to continue. A lot will depend on the enjoyment factor:-D

Team mates - there are 5 of us. Plus this year we are even between comp costs and winnings. Last year we won about half of our expenses - but with 4 or 5 of us the expenses aren't so bad.

I cashed in some under performing IRAs to buy the cooker and help us through the first year...kind of what Tim's doing now -- but then he's a retired old fart and can dodge the penalties!!

I cater and do parties to build up my cash stash...right now it's LOW. A cheap cookoff for Tim and me is about $300-400 each...we split all costs for the "team" and cover our own travel expenses...

At Sebring (FBA) a few years ago a couple of "winners" spent time "thanking our sponsors" -- other thanked their's too while patting their wallets.

Most teams cover their costs out of their pockets...sponsors can be a double edged sword.

I do about 6 to 8 contests a year. Most of my money comes from second and thrid jobs. I'm the mayor of a small town, so the pay from that goes directly to my comps. I also install floors on the side and of coase all of the earnings minus expenses go to the team. I'm my own sponsor you could say.
I also have 3 cash sponsors from Milam Concrete and construction($200) and Power Source Electric ($200) and Sills Reators ($150) and I'm working on more. I also do a few caterings from time to time.
All in all, if you want to do this you'll find a way to work you butt off and get it done.

I have a part time bartending job which essentially pays for the costs of competing. It helps to get a few calls though....

If you want to do it bad enough you will suck it up and save enough during the winter. You don't have to do 20 contests starting out. One or two contests your first year should be enough to help you decide if you want to continue. The way we do it is we make it a family event. My brother and I share costs so its not so bad.

I get to drop $2 or $3 grand from my annual bonus (it's shrinking every year though due to real estate sales declining) into my BBQ comp account and I write checks out to most all of the contests I decide upon. Then MOST of those tend to be in towns where we have one of our company's independently owned franchise offices located. I hit them all up for sponsorships. So far this year, counting the 4th contest coming up Memorial Day weekend, I have gotten sponsorships of $250, $150, $250 and $100. These all go into my BBQ fund along with whatever is left from paying entries. Two in June have no sponsorships. In July, I'm hooking up with a two others (don't know if I'm supposed to say yet) and cooking a contest. I have already gotten a $150 sponsorship from our office locally. My step dad is a dentist and he will sponsor us for $150 at Blue Springs, along with my wife's company for another $150. Outside of these, I get mileage reimbursement checks monthly for anywhere from $200 to $500. These go in the BBQ account as well. Good thing too... we're not winning much of anything so far this year. :lol:

Independently wealthy??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right!

Back