Very Appreciated Judges Feedback

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Usually what we see here about scoring is bitching and moaning about a judge scoring and, unfortunately, no feedback. This was a tremendous help to me when I got this comment form back. Note, the score was 8, 7, 7. Normally, you would not get comment card with that score, but this judge stated, "very mushy". Pork is our worst category and this was so helpful to us. The scores were about what we normally get but had no idea what to do to improve. This help us understand what the judges are thinking and we have now looked into modifying out process to get the tenderness without the mushy texture. We really appreciate a comment card like this! What is your take on this brethren?

Great comment Meat Burner -- I'm tired of the rants and tirades, too. Any cook and any judge can have a bad day. As to comment cards I've had several cooks ask for them on every entry. This is impossible with only 30 minutes between categories. So, for now I'll keep using them when I give a six or below.

I'd love to see comments on everything that's not a 9 (figure if it's great the score says it already). It's very tough to tell why it's a 7 in this or that. Glad you got that feedback.

I don't think I need a comment card for 6 and under if i get those chances are I already know why, except those lovely 6 and the rest 8-9 scores, I disregard those anyway lol..

Anyway, that comment card was awesome, id love a few like that to help me narrow down what to work on.

Nice to see useful feedback.

Thanks for the positive post.

The judge was doing his/her job really well.

2 words of constructive evaluation was all it took to help.

So simple, so easy, so seldom done.

This should be an example to all of KCBS of how the comment card should work.

Thanks again for putting this out for all the Brethren to see.

I can't tell you how many times I've judged and have been the only one to fill out comment cards. The only exception really was when I shared a table with Rookie Dave. Thanks for expressing the appreciation. Gives me that much more incentive to keep on doing it.

On a side note, I really wish the reps would encourage the comment cards more. In most of the judges meetings it seems like they only mention them because they are obligated to. It's a shame really.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many times I've judged and have been the only one to fill out comment cards. The only exception really was when I shared a table with Rookie Dave. Thanks for expressing the appreciation. Gives me that much more incentive to keep on doing it.

On a side note, I really wish the reps would encourage the comment cards more. In most of the judges meetings it seems like they only mention them because they are obligated too. It's a shame really.

Josh, Thanks for this. I'm certain that most teams truly appreciate your feedback.

Anytime I score a 6 or below I ALWAYS use a comment card. I try to use them on 7s, but can't always take the time if our table is served last or if the Table Captain is taking too much time to get things out.
At first I thought that you had a card that I left in the comp in Lincolnton, as I wrote a "mushy" card for chicken and had scored it 9-8-7.

Pretty abnormal to get a comment card for 7 or above. At every judges meeting you are told NOT to bother with comment cards for a good score as the good score is telling the cook job well done. I try to give comments for everything 6 or lower. Glad to see the thoughts on this and will try to comment more often.

Great comment Meat Burner -- I'm tired of the rants and tirades, too. Any cook and any judge can have a bad day. As to comment cards I've had several cooks ask for them on every entry. This is impossible with only 30 minutes between categories. So, for now I'll keep using them when I give a six or below.

This is a great rule of thumb, I don't think a judge needs to justify every score, but a 6 or less is saying "this is terrible" and they should explain why.

This is a great rule of thumb, I don't think a judge needs to justify every score, but a 6 or less is saying "this is terrible" and they should explain why.

IMHO, the comments and feedback shouldn't be justification but constructive criticism, ala. explain what's wrong. Otherwise the cooks (to some degree) are left not knowing. Perhaps you thought it was a little too salty for your palate so you give it a 7. A one or two word response will be GREAT "too salty". The comments can be that simple, and probably best if left that simple.

We turned a brisket in Delaware that we thought had to be hands down the best out there. We had the following scores:

All three judges in the bottom turned in a comment card that said, best looking, best tasting, salty brisket i've ever had. If only one judge left a comment card I wouldn't have known what to do about it, but 3 judges wrote a card and saved me from jumping off a bridge. I love comment cards...it takes the "judges just don't know" out of the mix.

And see, some judges either aren't sensitive to salt or just plain love it, where the other 3 told 'ya why. Perfect, and glad you had the comments.

Now those are good judges. I would definitely liek to see more comment cards, definitely on 6's and down.

We turned a brisket in Delaware that we thought had to be hands down the best out there. We had the following scores:

All three judges in the bottom turned in a comment card that said, best looking, best tasting, salty brisket i've ever had. If only one judge left a comment card I wouldn't have known what to do about it, but 3 judges wrote a card and saved me from jumping off a bridge. I love comment cards...it takes the "judges just don't know" out of the mix.

abamgs. GREAT post! It's tough when you see those scores. Without feedback, you would never have had a clue about the salt. And maybe, it was just on a few pieces that got to the judges. I just want to get lucky. LOL

This is good to hear because I've always thought that (as said earlier, maybe in another, similar thread) the cooks probably already know if they've screwed something up.

I will definitely use more comment cards from here on out. It is tough, as has also been said, if your table captain is running late, etc. but I'll definitely make every attempt to fill one out when scoring anything below a 7.

Thanks for the information, everyone.

Back