Hog Happnin' Shelby NC 05'

D

dxesmkr

Great contest and couldn't ask for more perfect weather.46 teams competin'.Had about 30 or so friends and family come to eat and enjoy the festival.Visited with old friends and made some ones this weekend.

We ended the season on a good note.1st in pork(our first 1st in pork),6th in sauce,10th in ribs,15th in brisket(dry and not enough smoke),and18th in chicken(too much smoke & tough skin).Overall we picked up Reserve Grand. Which was as surprise to all of us.Missed Grand by .5816 points.

They also have a contest between the top three SC teams and top three NC teams from the previous year.Its called the War Between the States.On fri. you claim which two catergories you want to enter.We also won that.The contest does a unique one of a kind trophy every year.This year it was actual cannon balls(called grape balls)from the civil war mounted on a base.Its awesome.Home Builders sponor the contest and for 1st place,Grand, and Reserve Grand they make these beautiful laser engraved oak cabinet doors.I'll attach a photo.

Its a great contest.The people won organize and run(Jerry ,Joyce,Mary,and friends) the contest do a super job.Plus,the contest reps(Ron Harwell and Ed Magnessun) do a outstanding job.Put it on your calenders for next year.
Overall:

Grand: Hickory Knoll Cookers(3rd year in arow)
Reserve: Willy T's Dixie Smokers
3. Governors BBQ
4. Lazy Bones BBQ
5. BS Pitmaster
6. Red, White and Que
7. Swamp Sauce Smokers
8. Courtney's Low Country Boys
9. Mountain Magic COuntry BBQ
10. Pig-me Cooking Team

Chicken
1. Red, White and Que
2. BS Pitmeister
3. 3-B Cooking
4. Mountain Magic Country BBQ
5. Bare Knuckles BBQ
6 Swamp Sauce Smokers
7. Pit Dog Barbecuers
8. Cool Smoke
9. Billy T and the Jammers
10. Bare Bonz

Ribs
1. Hickory Knoll Cookers
2. Governors BBQ
3. Bluer Valley BBQ
4. Free Range BBQ
5. Billy T and the Jammers
6. iQue
7 Pitts 'n Grins
8 All-Nighters
9. Courtney's Low Country Boys
10. Willy T's Dixie Smokers

Pork
1. Willy T's Dixie Smokers
2. Kings Cooking
3. Papa's Pride
4. Backyard BBQ
5. Midnight Smokers
6. Sue E. Pigg
7. Blue Sky BBQ
8. Lazy Bones BBQ
9. Whoop-de-Que
10. Que Boys

Brisket
1. Courtney's Low Country Boys
2. Little Vaughns Q Shack
3. Pig-me Cooking Team
4. Kings Cooking
5. 3-B Cooking
6. Governors BBQ
7. Blue Ridge Mountain BBQ
8. Lazy Bones BBQ
9. Hickory Knoll Cookers
10. Bare Bonz

Sauce
1, Mountain MagicCountry BBQ
2. Papa's Pride
3. BS Pitmeister
4. Bare Knuckles BBQ
5. KP's Cowboy Cookers
6. Willy T's Dixie Smokers
7. Backyard BBQ
8. Whoop-de-Que
9. Blue Valley BBQ
10. At Ease Moonlighters

Willy T.

Attachments

• hh05.jpg
    hh05.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 43
  • hh05a.jpg
    hh05a.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 45
Nice... I hate winter in the North East. Our contest season is so short.

Congrats! As you being a southerner and all, I imagine you'll always really cherish that "grape" trophy.

Ty

And may next seasons start be as well as this season's end.

Congrats, Willy T. Sounds like a great contest. Love the trophy's:grin: [being another southerner and all that :roll:]

Great news Willy. It really sounds like a good event and ya done good!! Congratulations.

Good job Willy!!!

I actually went to check it out this year, but didn't notice anyone flying the brother's flag. I would have loved to have met you. We showed up in the middle of the first turn-in, so I just walked around and didn't bother anyone with questions.

I'm hoping to get out there next year, so maybe I'll see you then.

NC Grimbo

BrooklynQ said:
Congrats! But what's the throphy made of meatballs?
Kinda look like mountain oysters in the picture.:grin:(I'll let you figure that one out):wink:

They are old small cannon balls called grape shots.They would put about 12 or so down a cannon barrel and fire it like buckshot at dem' yanks.:grin:

Willy T.

Back