• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2019 kcbs toy

manmeatbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, KCBS sent out an email this morning for the TOY banquet in January. There has been information in the News section of the website about TOY payouts. However, what caught my attention in the email is that they are providing trophies to the top 5 in the overall and in each category. If you finished 6th through 25th in the TOY, you get a certificate and a check. A certificate?

I get that we as an association haven't managed the funds appropriately, but couldn't even get ribbons at a minimum for TOY? I bet this will have an impact on the number of teams that show up for the banquet. An expensive dinner to show up for a piece of paper.

Wow. We have been for the dinner the last 2 years, initially for our perfect perfect pin, and last year just because. This year I have another, even more expensive dinner to attend that night, so I won't be going, but I would imagine that anyone looking at coming in from out of town is pretty upset right now.

They used to give out awards for the top 20, but the website listed the top 25. We ended up 21st in brisket and got nothing. They changed it to the top 25 the next year :shock:

I think I am going to put a picture of my 11th place overall certificate on my sauce when we release it. It is going to look awesome on the label of that bottle. To Brad's point, might start seeing people chase points in the other associations.

79311416_2737108843015913_2336071654762872832_n.jpg

I don't have a dog in this fight as I only cooked 13 comps this year and my highest category in TOY points is 57th but I voiced my opinion on the change. It is(or was) my goal to cook enough at some point to contend for top 25 spots. Doubt I'll hear anything back though.

Do they award per region or do foreign contests count towards the overall categories.

If you compete in 7 KCBS recognized contests but only 5 award TOY points, are you still a 5 and under team

Those would be my two questions

Foreign contest count in the overall. TOY is based on your 10 best contest. If you cook 5 then the 5 and under is where you would be. If you cooked 7 you would be in the 10 and under. We cooked 18 this year our 10 best was good enough for 24th overall.

If two of those "KCBS recognized" contests were classified as competitor series events then only 5 contests would count towards TOY. Please remember, team count or lack of the 15/25 teams is not a disqualifying factor for TOY points. That only effects whether the contest is a JD or AmRoyal qualifier.

who do we email to protest results?

If you want to protest results or lack of points, then that would want to email Karrin Murphy (toy@kcbs.us) at the KCBS office. However, the deadline for protesting the 2019 results have already passed (November 30th). There was a notice sent out (November 13th) on their Facebook page alerting teams to check your points and let them know if there are any discrepancies. It may not help this year, but something to keep in mind going forward.

I will preface this by saying we only cook a few events a year and will never be tops in anything! OK, here it goes, who cares if you get a certificate or a ribbon! I assume you have enough ribbons if you are that good. There are plenty of things to hammer kcbs on, but ribbons v certificate...really!

I will preface this by saying we only cook a few events a year and will never be tops in anything! OK, here it goes, who cares if you get a certificate or a ribbon! I assume you have enough ribbons if you are that good. There are plenty of things to hammer kcbs on, but ribbons v certificate...really!

Well, we sure as hell aren’t in it for the money!

I just wanted some clarification. There would be erratic changes on the KCBS list week to week leading up to the final. All the focus is on the overall so I just wanted to know whats legit or not in the lesser contest categories. I think we are going to be stepping away from the sport so the last hurrah had a little more meaning being that we ended up so close in a couple areas.

Its all good. Drama only for the bored and restless

Hello KCBS BBQ Team Head Cooks,

Since the addition of International regions to the KCBS Team of the Year (TOY) program, all international contests were included in the “Overall” TOY. As such, there was no specific U.S. region.

With the explosive growth and high-quality submissions from our International community, we felt it time to better separate regions for TOY programs; allowing our members to compete on equal footing in their respective regions. In February 2020, the Board of Directors voted to remove the “Overall” TOY region. Beginning in the 2020 TOY season, the TOY regions will be the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia.

All KCBS Member teams will earn points for the contests in the regions in which they cook. For Example: if a Team from Italy competes in a contest in the United States, the points they earn from that contest will only count in the US TOY points. If a U.S. team cooks in a Australian contest, the points they earn in that contest will count in the Australian TOY points.

In the coming days you may notice your TOY rankings change, as we implement the new website code to adjust the regions.

Good luck with your 2020 TOY season, and thank you for your continued support of KCBS.

Sincerely,

Emily Detwiler, Chief Executive Officer

I'll chalk this one up to one of the few BOD (current) decisions that I vehemently disagree with.

This change should not be applied retroactively, as teams may have already competed or committed to cook international events based on the ToY rules as had been previously understood. If this was being announced for the upcoming 2021 season, so be it, however ... ... ... :tsk:

Back