Short ribs w/ wine reduction

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I decided to try out the Nouvelle Quisine Throwdown and wanted to make a novel attempt. I set out some rules one of which was to not change to some special or esoteric meat for the main dish. So I used beef chuck short ribs and ox tails.
meat.jpg

oxtails.jpg

The chuck would be smoked over pecan, for two hours at least to absorb smoke once the color was set, it was to be braised. The ox-tails were smoked for 1 hour at 350 for both color and smoke flavor. This was all I needed for the stock as what I really wanted was a smoke infused strong herbal tea.

Here are the vegetables and herbs, most you will recognize, rosemary, sage, thyme and marjoram were the players. These were also roasted on the kettle with some pecan smoke along for the ride.
veggies.jpg

stockherbs.jpg

stockpaper.jpg

Oh, that little piece of paper, about that, it is a technique for making stocks and melting vegetables as well, it essentially allows for some moisture to escape while also preventing roiling of the stock. It really works great for melting onions for pizza. Anyways...

I also made a wine reduction, it took 3/4 of a bottle of wine to make this...
reducng.jpg

reduction.jpg

I know, what will I do with it all. This is great stuff though, intensely flavored, viscous and pungent. Literally, I have half of it left, as the whole dish needed just a tiny amount. It does have beautiful color. It would have been a whole bottle, more on that later.:mad2:

Here is the chuck rib going into the braise and getting ready to hit the uhven. As you can see, there is a little more wine, some onions, garlic and the herb tea. Oh, back to that, I used the tea method to add some herbal flavor and additional collagen and smoked meat flavor to the braising liqiud, this allowed me a little more control over the amount in the braise.
braise.jpg

After two hours at 270F, I added cherries (not local, but, I had to) to the braise for the final hour. This added both color and flavor and would punch up the wine infusion even more.

As a side item, I prepared scalloped potatoes but, used a filling of sauteed onions and baby shiitake for a filling to add some flavor. These were sauteed then layered into the potatoes. This was then cooked with eggnog added halfway to add some flavor and binder. All I have is this one shot.
potatoes-filling.jpg

Finally, I blended the braise with the wine reduction, mounted a small amount of sweet butter and poured it onto the plate and meat. The sugar snap peas were slowly cooked in olive oil, then cooled and finished with kosher salt. The mushrooms were then sauteed in the oil from the peas. Here is the end result...
plating-tight.jpg

Ah, and I burned all sorts of things along the way, I even managed to burn the stock, the wine reduction, some aromatics, a hamburger bun for lunch and the air was acrid for a while. Man, I was a bad multi-tasker today.

It is good stuff, and all you have to do is boil down a whole bottle of wine to fill the bottom of a juice glass.

It is good stuff, and all you have to do is boil down a whole bottle of wine to fill the bottom of a juice glass.

I wonder if you could capture the steam, let it condensate, and then drink it. At least you could get a buzz out of it. :p

I think you could if you had a still. I don't have a still, and would not want one, no sir, not me, never.

That looks like quite a bit of effort, but it also looks very worth it!

It would have been easier if I had not been burning everything in sight.

Anderson Valley Brewing Poleeko Gold Pale Ale...and River City Root Beer

Look pretty good to me. Sometimes things get away. Still, I'd bet it was better than any restaurant dish you'd spend 5 times the amount on.

Dude that is off the hook crazy good looking....... You did good my friend!!!!!!

Back