• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicago deep: pan?

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those who cook Chicago deep dish pizzas (stuffed crust or not): what are you using for the pan? I was about to order the Chicago Metallic 14.25" but it is not 2" deep, which I want.

Probably would prefer a straight cut 12" that is 2" deep.

Thx,

I use cast iron skillets. I have many different sizes, depending on how big a pie I want. They work very well, and more versatile than a pizza pan.
picture.php

That just really made me want some deep dish pizza.

I use cast iron skillets. I have many different sizes, depending on how big a pie I want. They work very well, and more versatile than a pizza pan.
picture.php

I use large, 14", cast iron skillet. I pre-heat in oven, remove, then form crust in skillet and assemble pie. Then back in oven.

10" cast iron skillet works great.

Attachments

• Cast Iron Pizza.jpg
    Cast Iron Pizza.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Yeah Josh, really hungry up in here so THANKS for that mouth-watering photo.

:wink:

I typically use a cast iron skillet or a round cake pan. I don't have a round cast iron pizza pan and I don't think I need one .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180517-115234.jpg
    Screenshot_20180517-115234.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 118
16" cast iron skillet is what I use for pizza.

Last edited:
I have prepared it in cash iron, but want to go with what the pizzerias use (well, except for the oven part).

Heck, I should get both. How can you have too many cast iron pans?!

I was in Chicago a few months ago and ate at Pizzeria DUE. I made a comment to one of the guys that I work with that I would love to have the pans. I told him I couldn't cook enough pizzas in a life time to duplicate that seasoning. After a talking with our waitress and the manager they thought it was great and funny that I wanted the pans and wrapped up 2 in plastic bags so I could put them in my suitcase for the flight home. Awesome people there!

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 79
I use a deep dish pan in the bottom of my UDS to catch ashes.
It's a Royal Industries Pizza Pan Tapered Deep Dish, 16" (Amazon).
16in top diameter, 14in bottom, 2in deep. I paid $11.99 used (small scratch on it). It was a bargain as it's a heavy duty aluminum pan.

Back