Deep Fried Chicken Balls

As an aside, Bob, my favorite things to order at Sushi restaurants are the wonderful pickled vegetable dishes. Is there a recommended cook book for such things?

Also, the lemon rind. Grated, or thinly sliced and minced?
The lemon was carefully hand peeled from the lemon in long strips, then carefully sliced into 1mm wid...oh wait, no, I used a microplane and grated the lemon zest off a lemon

There are many books, I don't own any of them. I do own The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbo, which is a great book and closely matches the Japanese cooking I learned in my family, there are some good recipes in that book. However, there are many great books on tsukemono.

What kind of tsukemono do you like? I probably can point you to the right technique and recipe.

Seriously great looking grub, and many thanks for the recipe! Very interested in the cold smoking of the chicken beforehand...
What I did, was using my Weber kettle, I made a pile of small sticks from my sack of pecan chunks. These were then topped with a couple of lit briquettes. The bottom vent was left closed and top vent was wide open. I had deboned the breast and brined both the breast and the bones. both went on to the kettle and smoked. I did this in the morning and kettle temperature was right around 60°F for the entire cook. I had thought of putting an ice bed in there, but, it was cool enough at night, that the kettle was cold to start.

The lemon was carefully hand peeled from the lemon in long strips, then carefully sliced into 1mm wid...oh wait, no, I used a microplane and grated the lemon zest off a lemon

There are many books, I don't own any of them. I do own The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbo, which is a great book and closely matches the Japanese cooking I learned in my family, there are some good recipes in that book. However, there are many great books on tsukemono.

What kind of tsukemono do you like? I probably can point you to the right technique and recipe.

Well, never having encountered the word tsukemono and looking it up, I remain mystified. There is a dish that has a mix of carrot, cucumber, and radish, the pickled cucumber and gingers (Love the ginger between samples of various fish) and a beet dish I had once was wonderful. Japanese cuisine I have always found intimidating and never really tried cooking, yet it is one of my favorites for treating myself as the restaurants tend to be on the pricy side. I think I'll give the Shimbo book a look for starters. Thanks Bob.

Tsukemono is just pickles, in fact, most of it is far simpler than canning. Mostly, modern tsukemono is either salt cured or sugar cured and quite simple to make. The thing worth noting is that almost all of us in the United States have kitchens that any Japanese family would find shockingly well equipped and massive. Most Japanese cook on one or two burner stoves, have tiny refrigerators (I mean dorm fridge size) and many still cook over open fires in the rural areas. The food is largely peasant food that we elevate because it is exotic.

Personally, I find Thai and Chinese food to be far more complex, Indian food as well.

Tsukemono is just pickles, in fact, most of it is far simpler than canning. Mostly, modern tsukemono is either salt cured or sugar cured and quite simple to make. The thing worth noting is that almost all of us in the United States have kitchens that any Japanese family would find shockingly well equipped and massive. Most Japanese cook on one or two burner stoves, have tiny refrigerators (I mean dorm fridge size) and many still cook over open fires in the rural areas. The food is largely peasant food that we elevate because it is exotic.

Personally, I find Thai and Chinese food to be far more complex, Indian food as well.

Complexity has it's place, yet it is the simple, most elegant of things, that can be so hard to master...

There was an exercise we had in school which was to simply make a drawing with one line...

Back