• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PIG's HEAD!

BABYGOTBUTT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Much to the dismay of the wife, I came home with a pig's head from the local butcher tonight. Looking for any ideas on smoking this bad boy!!!

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!!

Not sure but I would just throw it on the smoker. Cook at 220 till you reach the right temp for the head. Spice it anyway you want it. I bet it will turn out great!!!

Tongue and cheeks baby.

If you got the knife skills debone the whole thing, crack the skull, and roll it up. Good eats.

I have 1 question.

Why would anybody buy a Pig's Head without having a clue what to with it ?
just curious.

I would
Make head cheese after boiling all the meat off.
Remove the jowls, cure and smoke them.
Remove the brains,saute them with onions and add eggs, scramble em up.

Much to the dismay of the wife, I came home with a pig's head from the local butcher tonight. Looking for any ideas on smoking this bad boy!!!

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!!

Make Jowl Bacon
and
Head Cheese (Luncheon Loaf)

head soup.jpg

Make Jowl Bacon
and
Head Cheese (Luncheon Loaf)

head soup.jpg

Yum! Do you have a recipe to share? It is said in these parts that my Maternal Grandmother made the best around ,unfortunately,she passed away long before my interest was aroused.:mad:I would LOVE to be able to produce some awesome head cheese (we call it souse).

I have plenty of "clues" what to do with it. Read orignial post. I never said i didn't have a clue what to do with it. I was just asking for different ideas.

I have 1 question.

Why would anybody buy a Pig's Head without having a clue what to with it ?
just curious.

I would
Make head cheese after boiling all the meat off.
Remove the jowls, cure and smoke them.
Remove the brains,saute them with onions and add eggs, scramble em up.

Yum! Do you have a recipe to share? It is said in these parts that my Maternal Grandmother made the best around ,unfortunately,she passed away long before my interest was aroused.:mad:I would LOVE to be able to produce some awesome head cheese (we call it souse).

This site has great sausage and lunch meat recipes in pdf format. I have them printed, but it is easier to provide you with a link than scan or retype recipes.

Headcheese

Pennsylvania Head Loaf

Another good source for recipes is Stanley and Adam Marianski's "Home production of Quality Meats and Sausages" It actually incorporates both of his other books "Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design" and "Polish Sausage Recipes" into this one book... and it actually also covers curing meats (Hams, Corned Beef, Luncheon Loaf).

Last edited:
Here are a few shots from my last pig head:

Attachments

• DSC04387.JPG
    DSC04387.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC04381.JPG
    DSC04381.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC04396.JPG
    DSC04396.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC04412.JPG
    DSC04412.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC04422.JPG
    DSC04422.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 149
thanks for all the input guys......think I'm going to smoke it, wrap it and cook some more then make some sort of asian influenced tacos.

There is at least 1 Youtube video on deboning a pigs head.
I watch it last year sometime.:idea:

I smoked one for a dinner centerpiece. Then I rendered the fat, got some cracklings! Also the meat was just eaten. I used the cracking in some cornbread.

Back