Grilled Octopus

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Whole 2-4 lb. octopus @ $1.99lb. Always wanted to cook one, but what could be more intimidating. I don't know how to choose, clean, skin, or portion a whole octopus. Does it need to be boiled/steamed before grilling? Can it be smoked? How is it seasoned or served? I assume it can be overcooked and rendered chewy/inedible with improper treatment, much like squid.

I know some guys and gals here are quite competent with seafood cookery, so please outline how to prepare delicious octopus for a first timer. Thanks so much, in advance.

I had some great octopus at a place out near Napa this summer. I asked how they got it so tender. You won't believe this. They put the octopus in a tumbler with golf balls and beat the hell out of it.

So, I'd say head over to the local driving range with your 8-legged friend and sneak him into the ball hopper for a few minutes. If you have a choice, I'd recommend Pro-VI's.

Being of Sicilian descent (both parents from Sicily) we eat octopuses on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. First we boil them about 15 to 20 minuets; this lets you peel the thin skin membrane away and remove the leftover ink. We use a specific pot every time because of the ink stain that will be left behind.

We then grill them very quickly over coals; the initial boiling will make them tender so you don’t have to grill them long. We then cut them up into about 1 inch pieces and mix them with EVOO, crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, fresh parsley and S&P to taste. Let this sit in the fridge for a couple of hours then bring up to room temp and eat.

We make six every time for 12 people and never have we had any left over. It is truly one of the best seafood’s out there.

Being of Sicilian descent (both parents from Sicily) we eat octopuses on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. First we boil them about 15 to 20 minuets; this lets you peel the thin skin membrane away and remove the leftover ink. We use a specific pot every time because of the ink stain that will be left behind.

We then grill them very quickly over coals; the initial boiling will make them tender so you don’t have to grill them long. We then cut them up into about 1 inch pieces and mix them with EVOO, crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, fresh parsley and S&P to taste. Let this sit in the fridge for a couple of hours then bring up to room temp and eat.

We make six every time for 12 people and never have we had any left over. It is truly one of the best seafood’s out there.
Two words with the ink.............BLACK PASTA!!!

saw a show once. they ate some very soft octopus. so they asked how they got it
so soft. so they went outside, stuck one in a rubber inner tube and the proceeded to pound the heck out of it against a big rock on the ground. makes sense to me !

On a trip to Greece, we awakened to a slapping sound. A fisherman was picking up an octopus and slamming it hard as he could into the concrete sidewalk along the boat slip over and over again to tenderize before selling to the restaurant in the hotel. We ate some of his catch later that afternoon. tender and awesome!

If you have a trusted seller, I follow the Thai 3 minute rule.
Always tender, no, because some are tough but they usually are tender, it is unusual they are tough.
If they are, they get poached like Paulie says in herb water.

nobody say calamari

PaulieG, that's the deal right there. I have not been to the store to see what size they are, but that is what I envision.

I hope I can find a video of cleaning and skinning an O. My wife already has said she will not partake. That will change if I can cook it well. Thanks for the help, I'll post if I get one.

Hi there!

To have a great octopus you have to:
0. Remove everything is inside the head. If you remove everything, no ink will remain. Do it by yourself or ask to the fisherman to do it.
1. Beat it against the rocks, for about 15/20 minutes
2. Then freeze it

There no need to remove the skin...and, from my point of view, it's impossible to remove the skin, because it is so thin.

Points 1 AND 2 help to make it tender. I know that point 1 could not be usual for you, so if you avoid it, go for point 2 and then boil it for few minutes befor grilling/smoking.

Lot of people grill it. If you do, pay attention not to burn the small parts because they become tough.

I prefer to go indirect, it come juicier and not burned at all, with a very good smoking flavour.

It is cooked when the colour is light brown, as in the photo of my post that Will Work For Bbq wrote above.

Happy octopus!!

Back