• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bite through chicken

Couple questions, do you cover the margarine pan with foil over the top of the chicken?
and second, my method is 20 minutes in margarine pan, uncovered. 20 minute on the grate, and another 20 minutes on grate but flipped to try to get some grill marks. I cook on a pellet grill and at 265 degrees the chicken is done in a hour or less, 170 degrees. So Im struggling to get that much time on the chicken. what am I missing?

Couple questions, do you cover the margarine pan with foil over the top of the chicken?
and second, my method is 20 minutes in margarine pan, uncovered. 20 minute on the grate, and another 20 minutes on grate but flipped to try to get some grill marks. I cook on a pellet grill and at 265 degrees the chicken is done in a hour or less, 170 degrees. So Im struggling to get that much time on the chicken. what am I missing?

Yes the pan is cover,later.

I get no grill marks on my chicken. Judges don't seem to mind though.

I would think this method would make the skin rubbery because of all of the moisture. It doesn't?

No, not at all. Try it!

You aren't covering it at any point, that's the problem. Do what you do now at the start, but instead of putting it on the grate, at that point leave it in the pan, and seal the pan with foil. The foil should not touch the chicken. Leave it there until it's 170 or higher. (Once you figure out how long that takes, you may not even have to temp it. You could also experiment with changing the amount of time it's unfoiled vs. foiled to see what works best for your cooker.)

Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

Bingo!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
No, not at all. Try it!

This thread is perfect timing for me. This weekend I am practicing with ribs and chicken before my competition in 2 weeks. I'm going to give this a shot as well as trying thighs and drums.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
I use no butter, but high heat and it has worked for me. Last year I scored over 177 in the Northern Arizona BBQ Fest in Williams AZ in a KCBS and was the AZ Barbeque Chicken Team of the year.

I smoke mine in a pan with butter, then pull it out and put it indirect on a really hot grill to crisp up the skin. PITA, but I don't have to scrape/remove/toothpick/etc.

And I have taken 1st in chicken before, so it can work.

You will have to take my cooking class to find out. It's really not that hard.

He's right.. not hard at all, and can be done consistently too. More than one technique. I'll be showing this in my class this weekend.:becky:

Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

No offense meant y'all, I just miss the old days.

Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

What I find slightly irritating, is that this question is asked more than a few times a year. A simple search on this site has the answers. And yes, I've answered it before too. Probably more than once. Bite thru chicken skin is the ABT question of the 21st century. Besides, the class I am teaching at, I am making absolutely no money from, and as a matter of fact, it's costing me money to do this free class. And, I am one of those guys you kind of indirectly bashed awhile back about how some of us who just sit in our trailers at a contest, and only care about the competing, and not there to EDUCATE the public, people like me will ruin this "sport".. etc.. etc.. I've personally have done a hell of a lot, more than my fair share of helping out others, on a more personal level than on a forum. Also, I've gotten tired of helping people out by personal messaging them on these forums, and most of the time, not even getting a simple "thank you".. So, screw it, unless it's a pretty unique question that spurs debate on this forum and causes me to think and to even get something out myself, then yes, I'll chime in. Until then, I'll still help out those I want to help or want my help, and choose not brag about how much I am educating, paying it forward or whatever people choose to call it.

Podge I cant speak for TSTP and I dont want to, and you have helped people out with questions. So for that I will say THANK YOU. ..But i will say i also kinda see where TSTP is coming from on this. Not all members that ask questions here have bben here for a while so they dont know whether something has been asked or not. Yes you are right also about the search, but again not all know how to use it.

When i was a new member I had read on several postings someone asking questions like can someone tell me how to do......., and one particular member saying "NO". My personal opinion was WTF why even answer. That made me afraid to post anything for a while, now you cant get me to shut up.

So I do see where TSTP is coming from, whether someone is making money or not. If someone has a legitimate question I guess I think it should be answered or maybe not commented on at all.

As to the OP and his question uncovered Foil pan in butter at 275* for an hour, then cover foil pan for another 45 minutes works for me....But my chicken scores are hit and miss

Yes, you're right Fat Freddy, I shouldn't have commented at all. But, if you think about it, there's several comments on every topic that does not pertain to the main topic.. Including this one.

I asked that question last week and I for one am glad he asked the question again because he actually got the answers that I was looking for. I really appreciate all the answers and techniques that were given. I thought that this was a forum to ask questions, talk about BBQ, chat and possibly help one another out. I have heard a couple of people say they are tired of answering the questions that have already been asked and to use the search feature to find past threads. I think all that does is Make people feel like they shouldn't post anything at all. I would like to say thanks for all for the responses to the original question.

#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.

#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.

Back