making my own smoker rig

soultrue

need your help guys i got a propane tank from the junk yard. I need some working drawing . Its is 7feet long top to bottom 24 inch (dim) . I want make a smoker box to go with it to . Im putting on a 4feet by 6 to 8feet trailer. or is it better to get a a used trailer smoker rig and call it a day . I dont have much money , only a few hundred . Need some help lamarr:icon_bigsmil

I don't have any specific design advice for you, but I do have a word of caution. Find someone who is experienced in working with propane tanks to assist you with cutting your tank. Very bad things can happen if it is not done properly...

Having said that, Google BBQ smoker pits, look at the various designs and find something similar to what you are looking for. Study that type of layout and work from there.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress... pics are great too!

James.

no problem building your own, but I agree with having a pro cut the tank.
I would make it a reverse flow, but that is just me.

Welcome to the forum.

Need to feed lot's of people? or just doing it for fun. If for fun, a couple of hundred I'd get a weber smokey mountain and learn all you can about smoking. Then look to the future. That weber will turn out awesome food and give you a real head start on backyard smoking.

Build a couple UDS for a couple hundred dollars. No welding, just cut some holes. Do a search and you will see some great examples. Welcome to the backyard, post often with pictures.

Welcome, pull up a stump and take a load off... Good luck on the smoker (think reverse flow)...

Lamarr saw my UDS at go for the gold. You could probably build 3 of them for a couple hundred dollars. 2 racks per drum, 2 briskets per rack = 12 briskets or 24 butts. That would feed a lot of people.

Go with a UDS orreverse flow, these guys can help out. They helped me so much, I built both. Use your search option for "UDS", and don't look back. Welcome and Good Luck!

Back