• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reverse Smoker / Grilling Steaks

Williefb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can you use a reverse flow smoker to grill steaks provided that the temp is high enough?

I think that would be more like baking steaks than grilling. On the upside you would have a nice smokey flavor and little or no grill marks.

You can roast them on there til you reach the desired internal temp.You could sear them on top of the firebox either before roasting or after.If you do not want to put them directly on the firebox surface just set a ci griddle,grate or skillet on top of the box and sear in that.

If the smoker is your only option I'd build a nice hot fire and throw the steaks in the firebox caveman style.

I've got a firebox cooking grate in my Yoder that makes it the perfect tool for reverse seared steaks...smoke til rare, then throw 'em in the firebox for a sear.

I LOVE my Lang, but it would make a miserable steak cooker, especially since I like mine either Pittsburgh, rare, or at the most done medium-rare....

GrillGrates placed over the firebox-to-cook chamber opening may do a decent sear as well. May have to rest the steaks for a few once they hit about 110-115 internal while you pop the vents and open the cook chamber door to get the fire stoked up but I imagine that'd be fine.

Last edited:
This is what I did: I added a grate rack 5" above my wood rack in my firebox. That way when the steak hits 100F, I throw it on a smoldering hot cast iron pan on there ... Damn i just got hungry talking about it.

bf4a4b0486b8288d32ae177fdf19f0d2.jpg

I've grilled them on our Lang. It isn't hard to get it to 475 or so and we thought they turned out great.

Never tried smoking a steak... but I'd be interested at the results! I bet if you let it smoke until VERY rare (around 100 degrees) you could throw it on a VERY hot fire (around 1300 degrees) and sear it for 30 seconds a side, and have a VERY tasty steak!

You hit it in the head Chad. That method is called Reverse sear, and it's quickly becoming popular way in bbq forums.

Never tried smoking a steak... but I'd be interested at the results! I bet if you let it smoke until VERY rare (around 100 degrees) you could throw it on a VERY hot fire (around 1300 degrees) and sear it for 30 seconds a side, and have a VERY tasty steak!

We have no problem at all grilling steaking on a RF, bring it up to 450', and you will get great grill marks, plus the drippings hitting the RF plate add even more flavor. On mine, the RF plate is only 4" below the grates and if you cook on the same end as the firebox you will catch extra heat coming up from the RF plate.

Back