View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #34
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I started competing in 2012 on a borrowed homemade offset pit. I got 3 calls and I won $1,000 and a trip to Vegas for potato salad of all things. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Since that time I have “invested” well over a quarter of a million dollars back into competition BBQ (not including vehicles and trailers). I have maxed out my cards for repairs or expenses and paid them all off again with winnings and classes 5 times over.

But, there can be a payoff. Now I own 3 restaurants, teach several classes each year, and have partnerships with quality brands. This allows me to be one of the few lucky ones that is able to do competition cooking as a full time job.

It can be done, it does take a lot of risk, and it is a very long shot. It takes thousands of hours of dedication and work that may amount to nothing on top of the money. Time away from your family, time on the road alone. I live and breathe competition cooking to a fault, but that’s just the way I’m wired. I love every minute of it.

If it’s your passion, go make it happen, but remember nothing comes cheap or easy. Best of luck to you.

Thanks from: --->