Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a small tri-tip from Winco last week and decided to give it a little flavor from across the Pacific. I cook dozens of tri-tips a year, hundreds in my life and his one had the funkiest grain I have ever seen. But it tasted as good as any. In fact this my be my favorite of any Tir-Tip I have ever cooked.

Marinated it for 96hrs. The marinade was soy sauce, fresh ginger, white onion, garlic and crushed red peppers. I have done one similar to this before but the extra long soak did amazing things to the flavor and changed the color.

I simmered and then cooled the marinade beforehand to meld the flavors.

Cooked it in the kettle for about two and a half hours indirect with mesquite charcoal. Pulled at 138* IT

Cooked up some asparagus in the CI with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh ground course black pepper.

Resting

Sliced!

Plated (and partially consumed)

I boiled down the leftover marinade and used it and "gravy" for the potatoes.

I will be doing this one again for sure.

Thanks for looking.

Josh, that looks delicious! I'm assuming the marinade gives the finished product the darker color? Bet the flavor is amazing...
Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for posting!

:doh: Just saw your comment on the color change. lol Looks delicious Josh! I'm going to give er a go. :thumb:

Last edited:
Looks very good I prefer mine with a little more red in the meat but I would hit that

Thanks George, Normally it would be more red. The meat has been a lot darker both times I have done it this way. The IT never hit 140 in the smaller part (where you see that pic) the center did have more red, but the two times I have done this the whole piece has been darker throughout. And I'm totally with you on the more red wagon though. In fact my bride and I were at Chili's the other night and I ordered the rib eye and it was pretty fantastic I must admit. But my wife said she does not eat raw cow, lol.

Like others I generally have steak a bit more pink, but that does look amazing. I've not ever cooked a steak indirect before, but this could persuade me to try.

recipe

X2. Got a recipe for the marinade?

10 oz bottle of soy sauce,
1 thick slice 3/8/-1/2" from the center of a white onion
2, teaspoons of fresh ginger finely grated
1, teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3, cloves fresh minced garlic

Simmer in a sauce pan for about 10-15 min. cool and pour over meat.
I put my Tri-Tip in my large food saver canister. The marinade was not enough to cover the meat to the top. So I flipped the meat over every 12 hrs and resealed. Kept it in the fridge for 4 days.

Super simple!

Back