Let's Talk Brisket

SMITTYtheSMOKER

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Since you guys here at the Brethren have a nice cross section of the country covered I thought I'd ask...how much impact do you see "Wagyus" having on the competition brisket results in your area?

We have had an impact for the first time I can remember (competing 3 yrs) just this year with a couple of teams scoring high with premium Wagyus out here in California.

I know the Northwest had had them readily available for a few years and teams had had success with them as well.

Wondering what you guys in the Midwestern and Eastern regions saw this past year in regards to teams scoring well with Wagyus.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Smitty

Welcome to the forum.

LMAO! I think its kind of funny a guy named "Smitty" is talkin' about premium beef.

Anyone from Texas get what I am saying. "Smitty's" LOL

I will leave this discussion to the guys that put their heart, soul and money into competition Brisket.

President of the "Select" Left Handers Association.

As far as I know they have had little/no impact on comps down here. I don't think they're suitable for how we cook. Select and Choice are still the predominant winners down here.

We do a few IBCA cooks each year but mostly Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cookers Association events. It's a splinter group of the IBCA.

I think Wagyu briskets are few and far between for regular contests in the Northeast.. Typically anything beyond regular choice will be CAB or some other Angus, or aged briskets

Thanks Zilla:

A Wagyu would not make it through the lenghty judging process that the IBCA uses. The immense amount of fat that the Wagyu has tends to congeal quite rapidly, compared to a choice Brisket, giving them a "kind of soapy" texture to it. The longer it sits and get cold the more cold fat you taste compared to fantastic meat.

They are the same to the letter.

I have tried them and cant say i truely cared for the flavor of the beef...There is a difference. And the price for one is off the hook! I dont know the cost will really give that much of an advantage, if any at all. The flavor will stand out among the rest but for me , i just didnt like what it had to offer. Chris

I've never cooked a Wagyu brisket yet, I know where to get them and they are not much $$ more than a Choice packer. Didn't hear much chatter this past year pro or con. Painted Hills, Snake River Farms seem to be readily available in the Portland OR area, but up here in Rain City the quality briskets are almost $5 lb! I've done OK with Select packers from WallyWorld and a lot of people do well with Choice flats from Costco. I just need to cook more Brisket period!

Glad you made it over here Smitty! I've considered cooking a Wagyu but I just can't justify the cost in my mind. Hell it took me month to work up the nerve to try a brisket because I didn't want to screw up a $20 piece of meat.

Welcome to The Brethren, Smitty. You're gonna love this place!

I strongly believe that finding a technique for cooking a brisket that will yield a consistent result is a much more important factor than whether the brisket is Select, Choice or something else. Once the technique has been determined and mastered, the grade of beef may come into play but until then I think it won't make much difference.

I know from my own experience that I've destroyed Select, Choice and Prime briskets with equal skill. We've gotten a lot better over the last year and have had a couple of 1st Place brisket calls but it's still the one meat that tends to give us the most variation in our results.

Now, if only we could catch you in the Brisket ToY standings!

I know of at least a half-dozen teams here in the SouthEast who use Wagyu briskets. My team is sponsored by Buckhead Beef, and they supply us with whatever we ask for. We've compared just about every type of beef they offer and we decided to go with the Snake River Farms brisket last season. The marbling is impressive and the flavor is usually (but not always) superior to the CAB we used to use. The Wagyu briskets do usually have much thicker flats which makes for a thick pretty slice for presentation. It's an excellent beef product if you can afford the price tag.

From the 2nd brisket i've ever cooked until now, they've always been C.A.B.

Back