Cyber q wifi

Hootie125

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am having trouble setting up my cyber q wifi through my home computer. I have Internet service through at &t and can't make it happen. I control my cyber q with my cell phone using the cyber q as a router but would like to check my pit via internet from my phone when I'm away from my house at work. My wife has tried to set it up on our computer several times and can't make it happen , I really need help not real computer savy.

I know that my cyber q has a router . I guess I should have said I am hooked up in adhoc mode and can check it with my cell phone what Iam wanting to do is hook it up in infrastructure mode which consists in tying my cyber q into my home Internet that way I can check my pit when Iam away from home via Internet . I have tried to follow bbq gurus instructions and it didn't work for me. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or might have already hooked theirs up through at@t. The best way through a mine field is to follow the persons foot prints that made it instead of trying to make your own

OK... Let's see if I can help.

First, it may just be a matter of terminology, but the CyberQ does not have a router built in. But, as mentioned, you should have a router in your home that connects to the internet. In order to accomplish what you want, you need to be able to access that router via your phone or computer.

So... Can you access your home router and log into it to view the configuration and make changes? Depending on the brand of the router, and how it is set up, you may be able to use 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser address window to access it. You'll probably need to know the user name and password to log in. Again, depending on the brand, you may be able to use the default user name and password for that brand. For Linksys that is admin for the user name and linksys for the password. It's different for other brands. Google may help with this.

OK... Let try to get the CyberQ set up for infrastructure mode. Since you have it working in ad hoc mod the easiest way to save the changes is using the web interface. You'll need to know a couple of things...

1. The SSID for your home wireless network
2. The type of security on the network (if any)
3. The security key or passphrase

You can get this information from the router or you can get the SSID and security type from your phone or a PC that is on the wireless network.

Open the web interface of the CyberQ and go to the wireless settings page (Mine isn't online right now, so I don't remember what that page is called, but it's one of the links at the top of the web UI. Then change the wireless settings to Infrastructure mode and enter the network SSID, select the right security type and enter the key or passphrase. Once you save these settings the CQ should restart on it's own. If not, restart it.

The CQ is set to DHCP by default so it should pick up an IP address automatically from your router. You can find out this IP address either from the CQ front panel or by looking at your router to see what IP address it assigned. Use this IP address to see if you can access the CQ from a pc on your home network.

Yes? Good. Then we can go on.

No? The hold down all four arrow keys on the CQ to reset it to the factory defaults and go back you ad hoc mode and try again. The most likely culprit is the security settings.

All of this is just to get the CQ on your home network. Once that is working we can look at making it accesible from the internet. In order to do that you have to change the firewall settings on you home router to allow your phone to access the CQ from outside of your home network. How to do that depends on your router brand. I can try to help with that once the CQ is working on your home network.

BTW, if all of the above sounds like latin to you, go find a teenager to help you out :-D

+1to Ron. I will try to add to it.

It is a two step process. The first is configuring the guru to attach to your network. This is just entering the settings the same as if you brought any other new computer or device into your home.

Keep in mind that the guru initially acts as a wireless web server so you have two networks involved. Once you enter your settings and reboot the guru it may pop up and say "no network". Ignore this. Give it a minute and if the buttons start to flash, it is communicating. If not, do what Ron said and start over.

Now test by connecting your phone or computer to your network. Find the IP address assigned to the guru by logging into your router as Ron mentioned and enter that address into a browser. If the page pops up, step one is complete. You are networked.

Step 2 involves forwarding any traffic on port 80 from the outside to the gurus IP address. The exact way to do this depends on your router but it should be pretty straight forward. Finally, you need to find your external ip that has been assigned to your location by AT&T. You can just google "what is my ip" to find that out. Take your phone completely off of all networks but your cellular data, open a browser and enter that address. Keep in mind that unless you pay for a static ip, this can change from time to time.

BTW, if all of the above sounds like latin to you, go find a teenager to help you out :-D

That's what I have to do . Otherwise
smashing-laptop-with-bat.gif
This is the end result.

You can also bribe an AT&T tech with some Q. Arrange a service call in the middle of a cook.....

Back