Chuckie advice needed.....

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Gonna smoke a chuckie tomorrow......as long as this storm doesn't destroy my Akorn and deck.

Limbs coming down like crazy.

This is my first chuckie smoke.

It's a 3.5 lb cut. Biggest they had, unfortunately. I tried to get one well marbled vs all the fat on the outside.

I'm wide open to suggestions.

In addition to the chuck roast, I have some beef broth, small potatoes, carrots, onions and foil-pan.

I have lump coal plus hickory, apple, cherry and mesquite chunks.

I also have some Plowboy's Bovine rub.

Outside of that I'll have an appetite and a few cold brews.

throw some rub on it, cook it over lump with any of the woods you have to about 160° IT, put it in a pan on top of onions, carrots, potatoes and some broth covered until it pulls apart, then uncover, and cook until the liquid reduces a bit. If you've got some cornstarch or arrowroot, stir in some of that at the end to make a gravy.
enjoy, and post some pics when you're done!

Thanks!

throw some rub on it, cook it over lump with any of the woods you have to about 160° IT, put it in a pan on top of onions, carrots, potatoes and some broth covered until it pulls apart, then uncover, and cook until the liquid reduces a bit. If you've got some cornstarch or arrowroot, stir in some of that at the end to make a gravy.
enjoy, and post some pics when you're done!

Cornstarch.......yup. Gotta can.

Gravy will be had.:p

Would you pull all of it or slice some?

Also....after traying....what level of broth would you add? Enough to just cover it and the vegetables?

Sounds like a plan to me. Hope Momma Nature don't spank you to bad.

Me too. I'm hoping to spank the hawt mama I'm married to later. This storm is not relevant to my goals.:becky:

You are in for a treat Dub. Smoked chuckie is one of my favorites. I tend to leave mine uncovered longer cause I like bark. But most folks proceed as fantom described.

Pix or it didn't happen:laugh:

Here she was yesterday when I was chilling out....dog in my lap trying to watch BBQ Pitmasters.

20130129_150802.jpg

At 45, I swear I'm more smitten every year.

From now on whenever Dub includes (with pron) in his thread titles, I'll be sure to click. Hell, he's liable to crash the server! :tongue:

:grin: ya'll ain't right........and that's why I feel so at home here. :loco:

I'll use this thread to update my progress tomorrow.

Tonight's progress pics, however, might offend those with Puritan sensibilities. One of three thangs will occur: this storm will just wipe me out, I'll take drunk.......or my goals of being Dirk Diggler will be attained.

Hey DubfromGA – sounds like you took advantage of the sale on chuckies that Publix has been running this week. Personally, I would pull it all. To me, that is what makes smoked chuck roast special. I like to smoke them low and slow to 160 and then cover, crank up the heat to 325-350 and cook to 215 internal.

A little behind schedule, I guess.

Added another chuck roast after hearing about some dips that it's used in. Figure I'd seal it up and make the dip before the SuperBowl.

20130131_111429.jpg

Using some cherry along with the lump.

20130131_112621.jpg

On at noon.

20130131_115814.jpg

I do need to nail down a great dip recipe......suggestions?

20130131_140843.jpg

20130131_153600.jpg

Bottom of the pan:

20130131_153112.jpg

Meat over the Onions & chili peppers.

20130131_154104.jpg

Foiled it and crunk open the bottom vent.

Cut up some country ham for the black-eyed peas my wife requested.

20130131_155153.jpg

Peas soaked last night and started cooking when I foil panned grillwork.

They are ready now.

20130131_182715_zpsb3b90c58.jpg

More time needed on potatoes and carrots.

Back