• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Opinion on the New Performer Platinum

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What do you folks think of the new Weber Performer Platinum with the touch n go system. Just looking for input as to build quality and how does it stack up against older models.

Thanks,
Jon

I recently picked up a 2006 Performer off Craigslist with Touch n Go, which I never thought I'd need, want, use it. Turns out pretty handy after a few weeks of messing around! But if I were buying a brand new Performer today, I'd probably stick with the Gold because even though gas ignition is handy (and even a little fun), I don't personally feel it's that big of a bonus.

Haven't seen any 2013 models out on display, but no reason to believe there's any build quality difference than in previous years. Probably overall the same great grill that would maybe benefit from a lid catcher that didn't block some of the cooking surface.

i bought a used rocky mountain smoker mentined this because i have three nowad they are my favorites

I personally think that the gas ignition is the most important part of the performer. Now if you're a mechanic and come home with your hands half filled with soot and such, no big deal dirtying up your hands, but I really like the whole "pour in the coals and push a button" aspect. Its really easy, and key in the winter time when you don't wanna mess around with stuff. Plus, it seems like the direct flame application lights the coals quicker.

The build quality is the exact same- same thermoset table. The only difference is the added cooking timer.

I have an older (SS) performer and one of the reasons I got it was for the propane ignition. Being the lazy bastage I am, it's just so much easier than finding some paper, tearing up a charcoal bag or doing whatever I need to do to find something to ignite a charcoal chimney.

And think the newer design allows better access to propane and storage bin. This point was driven home yesterday when my grill was covered with 1/4" of ice and I had to tear up an old charcoal bag to start my smoke. And my mesquite was not available since it was in the storage bin.

I love my Big Green Egg but recently refurbished an older Performer.

I love it. I feel a little bad for my egg but when it is cold out and I just want to grill something I immediately go to the Weber. This is mostly because of the propane ignition. If it wasn't for that I'd still use the my egg or go directly to the gasser.

I love touch and go on my older one. Makes it almost as easy as cooking with Gas but with the taste of Charcoal. Good on weber for the idea.

I have a four or five year old Touch N Go I got a couple years back off CL and to date I have YET to use that feature. I haven't even got a fuel bottle for it.

I think I see your issue :p

I'd like to thank all you folks for your input. Seems like the opinions vary, but that's a good thing. Having an older Performer SS, I have always liked the ones with the touch n go gas assist. I've been torn, as of late, on the purchase of a new one. I found several even SS ones on CL, but people are beginning to figure out that these are worth a little extra $$$$ :tsk: So, I was going to retire my old guy and buy a new one. After reading the thoughts here I think I know what I'll do. I have rebuilt my Old SS once already and really didn't want to do that again, but hey what the heck, it's fun right? So I am going to rebuild my old one and keep it for indirect type of cooking. I'll buy a new Red with the touch n go, add some cast iron grates and use it for high heat and searing, like steaks and chops. The only problem now, no not to convince the Mrs, she already said I can buy the new one. She also, asked very politely I may add, if I would sell my Homer Simpson to offset the cost........:twitch::tsk: With the exception of a dime sized chip Homer is like new.................Maybe I can hide him :decision:

One other thing I'll say about the Touch n Go system -- I'm not a fan of the propane bottle placement. I may be the odd man out here, but I like to keep the wire rack shelf under the grill uncluttered so I have a convenient place to set down a hot chimney starter, and I also like to put the lid down there when I want it completely out of the way and prefer to not set it right on the patio cement. Those little camp propane bottles are small enough but it hangs straight down in front so a touch extra caution is necessary not to bump it.

I wanted a Performer for the nice, large table, primarily, and even though I do use the gas assist starter I can see myself not replacing bottles once I use them up. I find starter cubes just as easy.

I love touch and go on my older one. Makes it almost as easy as cooking with Gas but with the taste of Charcoal. Good on weber for the idea.

Very well said. I just recently scored a 2010 performer with Touch N Go off of CL and I must say that it is my absolute favorite feature on it. I cooked on it twice already and started my lump charcoal in less then 5 mins each time. I'm very impressed to say the least.

The thing about the Performer is it's almost the perfect "everything" grill. I think if you look in most grill guy's backyards, you'll find a grill, some sort of work space, some sort of storage rack, some way to manage ashes, some method of starting fires, etc.

The Performer does all of these things plus some I'm forgetting. It's not that it doesn't any of these things in a special way, it just does it all in once place in one convenient footprint. That's why I think the Performers are one of the best grill values.

Regarding the starter system. I would pay more for it...even though the side burner on my gasser works a lot faster, It's still a very convenient option and if I ever ended up without my gasser, I would haven't to track down newpaper to use the chimney starter (not that you need a chimney...but it does light faster).

Honestly, the only thing I really dislike about the performer is the stupid lid holder doesn't get the lid all the way out of the way. Seems like such an easy fix that i can't believe they don't just do it. Even the lid holder on my smokey Joe Gold works better than this one. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of. It would probably be an even bigger pain if you happen to be left handed.

One other thing I'll say about the Touch n Go system -- I'm not a fan of the propane bottle placement. I may be the odd man out here, but I like to keep the wire rack shelf under the grill uncluttered so I have a convenient place to set down a hot chimney starter, and I also like to put the lid down there when I want it completely out of the way and prefer to not set it right on the patio cement. Those little camp propane bottles are small enough but it hangs straight down in front so a touch extra caution is necessary not to bump it.

That's why i always tell ppl about the weber q hose that allows you to hook up the big gasser style propane tanks (and saves you a ton of money and time).

You don't use the special performer lid holder on the side??

WHAT!!!!!!! I just went outside and tried this........it works :twitch: You mean I have had my old SS performer for 15 years and didn't know that :tsk: I thought it was for hanging the grate when cleaning and refilling the bowl. Thanks :clap:

Just checked with the place I buy my grills from in town here and he has a brick red platinum performer all spanky new in the box for $299. Now how do I explain this to the wife while I also spare Homer?

Back