View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey all. I was hoping to have new pics from today's progress. Unfortunately, we were hindered.. Basically got all the paint and rust removed from the trailer..got the square pipe and angle iron measured and cut..had some trouble with the welder today (maybe you can help).

We don't have an indoor workspace big enough so we've been working outdoors about 75ft from the house. We didn't even want to attempt to weld with an extension cord so we brought out the generator with hopes it would suffice (generator puts out about 220v and 30amps). It seems that the weld isn't penetrating the frame. We've used the same welder in the past on 1/4" steel but this time we aren't getting anywhere. The only thing I can think to do is preheat the metal with a propane torch..If that doesn't work, we may be forced to lug the trailer closer to the outlet .

Any ideas so I can make some real progress? You're dealing with amateur welders here! Just a plain ole MIG with .030 wire (might be .035..can't remember).
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote