KCBS event by yourself can it be done?

You can do it. Now we have 2 people, but everything is as prepped as it can be before we head out and that makes all the difference. All the meat is trimmed, rubs made, sauce made, injections made. So it seems like all we really do on Friday (for comp turn in meat) is rub/inject the meat then it goes on the smoker. 1 person would definitely have more moving around during turn ins, but many others do it.

At our contest earlier this year, we had two "teams" that were solo acts. I asked them if they wanted help and they took me up on the offer. We found knowledgeable volunteers to run the boxes. Just make your need known to the organizer or reps and you will get the help you want for box runners.

The Pickled Pig technique can also be used to replace a damaged contest box. The tabs on one of our contest boxes broke after I built the box and I had to get a replacement from the reps. I did the described transfer and voila a new box in seconds.

I always cook by myself. Biggest tip is to NOT drink until that brisket box hits the turn in table.
NUTZ

Lots of good advice above! I cook alone and have for many years. Figure out how long all 4 meats take to cook at home and add an hour at a contest. Simplify all you can with everything. Don't take it if you don't use it cause guarantee at some point in time you'll have to move it. Ask the organizer if you can be placed close to turn in (very very important) or if they know anyone who can run your boxes. Good luck!

For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

Agreed. I saw it done three weeks ago and a friend of ours took 1st in two categories and GC. However, this was by far not his first competition. At least try to find someone to run your boxes. Good luck.

I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.

I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.

It can be done

Just started competing this year, and have done all 4 solo from start to finish. Bit of a pain to be located away from the judge's tent - gives you less time to think about your next box and actually put it together, but can be done nonetheless. Have placed in the top 10 overall in 2 out of the 4, and took 5th in chicken in the other one. Helps to have friendly teams next to you in case you forget something (like a hose), because your time is at a premium. Agree with the tip about prepping meat at home as much as possible - otherwise you will get very little rest and no socializing Friday night/Saturday morning. :thumb:

I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.

I know what you mean... I cook with just my wife! :becky::laugh:

Seriously though, that takes a lot of the stress out of the equation for multiple reasons.

For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

Agreed. I have done 2-3 comps solo, and it takes most of the fun out of it! You have some kind of task keeping you busy almost the entire time. Find a friend, split the load! Remember, the most important goal in competition BBQ is to HAVE FUN!

Agreed. I have done 2-3 comps solo, and it takes most of the fun out of it! You have some kind of task keeping you busy almost the entire time. Find a friend, split the load! Remember, the most important goal in competition BBQ is to HAVE FUN!

i've done it as well. while i had a little down time, i was working hard, with no feedback, for basically 48 hours straight really. kinda unfun, but alot of fun. if that makes any sense.

Back