Weep method with UDS

Bingo, As in I should stay away from Farmland and Hormel? I understand Hormel, but everyone seems to like Farmland. Did I miss something.

Just curious what type of exhaust you have on your drum?

Are you using a Weber lid, drum lid with a stack or holes in a circular pattern?

Bingo, As in I should stay away from Farmland and Hormel? I understand Hormel, but everyone seems to like Farmland. Did I miss something.

I suspect he is saying that enhanced ribs cook differently.

Very few people here use them because they believe they have a hammy taste.

I cooked 3 slabs Saturday in my UDS, cut into St. Louis style. 2 hours open, 1 in foil and 15 minutes unwrapped and they were great and definitely done but not overdone. Was very happy with the tenderness. Averaged 235 - 240 degrees. The previous slabs I'd done for 2 hours, 1.5 foiled and another half hour undone and they were falling all apart. My thermo could be off too though.

yes... i am saying all bets are off with "enhanced" ribs which IMHO are only good boiled a bit (to remove the nasty salts) and then grilled.

Chief, I think your process is better, only an hour in the steamer (foil) I bet the tip would help him, that and never use enhanced ribs ever ever again.

Hey Meat Burner, Yes I have cooked on the drum without the Guru. When we do comps we always end up cooking pork without the guru. Well, I went with Swift brand ribs tonight and was pretty happy with the results. Funk, I tried your weep method and the flavor was great. At the same time I had the weeping rack going at 270, I had 2 other racks going, spending time in foil. The foiled racks both came out perfectly moist.. I'm starting to think that it was just the two brands that I've been using lately. Will know for sure after I try a few more racks. Thanks for all your help with this guys. Pete

Yeah enhanced crap is... crap. Also, remember what i said about gurus... if the fuel supply is not right it can also dry things out... of course with foil thats not likely as in your case.

I wish I had of known you were doing ribs I woulda told you about the glaze thing

Enhanced ribs? Never knew there was such til this thread. Had to Google it. Why in the world would somebody want to "enhance" a rib? Mother nature made the perfect food and here people go screwin it up.

I get all my stuff from a local meat market. Never in a vacuum pack or anything. Just lots of slabs ready for the taking! Enhanced ribs?!?! Blasphemy!

Enhanced ribs? Never knew there was such til this thread. Had to Google it. Why in the world would somebody want to "enhance" a rib? Mother nature made the perfect food and here people go screwin it up.

I get all my stuff from a local meat market. Never in a vacuum pack or anything. Just lots of slabs ready for the taking! Enhanced ribs?!?! Blasphemy!

Yeah, around here, most super markets carry enhanced ribs, namely the Hormel always tender brand. They're injected with phosphates that are meant to retain moisture and increase flavor. I wrote them off a couple years ago when I started competing and only went back to them in the last few weeks when I started having problems with the other main brand up here. For what it's worth, I've never felt like they tasted hammy, but they do cook differently and are a little unpredictable.

My 2cents?

I think it's a combination of factors, enhanced ribs and the Guru. My reasoning?

Enhanced Ribs: basically brined (salt, salts, oh and some salts)
Now add your favorite rub? Sauce? (more salts)
All that salt is probably pulling moisture out of the meat during the cook (foiled or not). I'm sure enhanced ribs foiled for an hour or more appear plenty juicy and moist, in fact I'm betting they are swimming in liquid. The problem is that the brine/salt helped pull all that moisture out and there is no putting it back in once the meat is setting up/cooked.

I've used enhanced ribs a few times when my other sources weren't available and every time the ribs (no matter my cooking method) turned out much drier than non-enhanced ribs.

IMHO ribs are plenty fatty and don't need a brine to add moisture. As well, the meat left on most racks is thin enough brining could easily be working against you. (when I say "brining" I am refering to the "enhanced" mixture being a brine)

As for the Guru on a UDS? IMHO Over-kill.
Forcing air through an already efficiently designed, sealed smoker system like the UDS is just going to chase your moisture out the exhaust. Increased air-flow is probably helping with consistent temps, sure. But it's also likely pushing heat and moisture out the exhaust much faster than a natural flow.

In my experiences with UDS smokers as long as you keep the exhaust open more than the air-intake the natural flow of hot air rising will create a pull/updraft that naturally provides oxygen for the fire. I find that a 150 to 200 ratio works (exhaust = 150 to 200% of open air-intake) Example: 1" air-intake with 1.5 to 2" exhaust.

Beyond all that, when I smoke ribs on my large reverse flow trailer I use a modified 3/2/1 method (more like 2/1/1) at 230 degree and I almost always have a wet-smoke set up using apple juice or cider. Since using UDS smokers I've found them to be sealed and efficient enough that moisture hasn't been a problem with any meats yet. With the UDS I still used my 2/1/1 method at 230 degrees, IMHO the foiling for 1 hour provides steamy/moist tenderizing.

Anyways, I'm guessing it's the combination of enhanced/brined and forced air-flow (guru) pulling moisture out of the meat and chasing it out the exhaust.

See, this guy is saying the EXACT thing I did about your guru. If the coals get low and the heat tapers off a bit in standard UDS set up thats good, hot at first, slower and lower as time goes... But then the guru is gonna keep re freshening the air. Drying out your meat in an apparatus KNOWN to be the end all when it comes to moisture.

Thats what I said END ALL!!!!

My 2cents?

I think it's a combination of factors, enhanced ribs and the Guru. My reasoning?

Enhanced Ribs: basically brined (salt, salts, oh and some salts)
Now add your favorite rub? Sauce? (more salts)
All that salt is probably pulling moisture out of the meat during the cook (foiled or not). I'm sure enhanced ribs foiled for an hour or more appear plenty juicy and moist, in fact I'm betting they are swimming in liquid. The problem is that the brine/salt helped pull all that moisture out and there is no putting it back in once the meat is setting up/cooked.

I've used enhanced ribs a few times when my other sources weren't available and every time the ribs (no matter my cooking method) turned out much drier than non-enhanced ribs.

IMHO ribs are plenty fatty and don't need a brine to add moisture. As well, the meat left on most racks is thin enough brining could easily be working against you. (when I say "brining" I am refering to the "enhanced" mixture being a brine)

As for the Guru on a UDS? IMHO Over-kill.
Forcing air through an already efficiently designed, sealed smoker system like the UDS is just going to chase your moisture out the exhaust. Increased air-flow is probably helping with consistent temps, sure. But it's also likely pushing heat and moisture out the exhaust much faster than a natural flow.

In my experiences with UDS smokers as long as you keep the exhaust open more than the air-intake the natural flow of hot air rising will create a pull/updraft that naturally provides oxygen for the fire. I find that a 150 to 200 ratio works (exhaust = 150 to 200% of open air-intake) Example: 1" air-intake with 1.5 to 2" exhaust.

Beyond all that, when I smoke ribs on my large reverse flow trailer I use a modified 3/2/1 method (more like 2/1/1) at 230 degree and I almost always have a wet-smoke set up using apple juice or cider. Since using UDS smokers I've found them to be sealed and efficient enough that moisture hasn't been a problem with any meats yet. With the UDS I still used my 2/1/1 method at 230 degrees, IMHO the foiling for 1 hour provides steamy/moist tenderizing.

Anyways, I'm guessing it's the combination of enhanced/brined and forced air-flow (guru) pulling moisture out of the meat and chasing it out the exhaust.

PeteG said he has a heat shield over the fire, so he's cooking indirect in his drum, and using a Guru with it is like using a WSM.

Back