FINALLY....my Stainless Steel UDS is DONE!!!!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK.....so I've been thinking, planning, dreaming and finally it's DONE!

I've got a friend who works at a large company and he's always bringing home STUFF. He offered one of the 3 Stainless 50 gal drums that he had been storing behind his mini-barn for a couple of years a while back, and that gave me on HELLUVA idea!

I told him the plan, and he also came up with some other SS parts that we put to use.

So finally.....yesterday was the big day! THE BUILD!!!

Here's how it went....

Here's the drum "as is":
IMG_4545.jpg

It had like a permanent "dipstick" in it...attached to the side. We just cut that out and used it for all the brackets to come. He also had a SS bucket (that he uses for an ash bucket) and this other, taller bucket (on the right) for me to chose from for the fire-bucket. I chose the one on the right. It had a heavier guage metal, so better to weld on.
IMG_4546.jpg

Here's what I did to modify the bucket..... First, I cut the bottom off:
IMG_4549.jpg

Second, I welded on 3 legs to the bucket from the "dipstick" material.
IMG_4551.jpg

Then, I cut a new bottom out of some SS expanded metal that he'd also scored from work.
IMG_4552.jpg

Finally....I used a step bit to put a bunch of holes in the sides of the bucket for better air flow....FIRE BUCKET DONE!
IMG_4553.jpg

Now....the drum is the "standard" stuff.... We used a knockout/punch kit to punch out 1" holes 3 1/2" up from the bottom of the drum. We put 3 holes in total, all 3 holes were filled with 3/4" close nipples, and 2 were capped (from what I've read, I may never need the other 2). We threaded a 3/4" ball valve onto the front nipple for the main air intake.
I didn't take as many photos of the drum.....I was working on the bucket and my bud got it done quicker than I could snap photos, but you get the idea.
IMG_4550.jpg

We welded on tabs for the upper and lower cooking grates. The "dipstick" was attached at 2" from the top, so we kept it and added 2 more tabs for the top grate. Then we added 3 other tabs at 8" down from the top (giving me 6" of space between the two). This photo shows the grate sitting on the lower tabs:
IMG_4554.jpg

Notice, we put in 3 tabs for each grate location, to prevent rocking. JUST long enough to hold the grate, so it's easier to get the lower grate out past the upper tabs. I doubt I'll ever need to remove the lower grate with food on it, but just in case.....

This photo shows the grate in the upper position and the fire bucket in place:
IMG_4555.jpg

If you'll notice, there are also 3 more tabs at the very top of the barrell. My OTS lid just sits on the rolled edge of the barrel. I didn't want to cut off the rolled edge for fear of weakening the barrel, so we just welded these other tabs on to keep the lid from slipping off. They hold the lid on snuggly with almost no gap at all between the lid and barrel.

I just realized....I NEVER TOOK ANY PHOTOS OF IT COMPLETELY PUT TOGETHER!!! DOH!

Oh well.....I'll be doing a test cook this week (I hope!) and there's lots of PRON in this thing's future, so there'll be more photo ops.

Just imagine the original drum photo with stickers removed and a black Weber OTS lid on top! There. 'nuf said.:mrgreen:

Anyway....I've been months thinking about this thing. I've PM'd several of you for advice. Specific thanks go to N8-Man, NorcoRedneck and Thirdeye for their great help and photos.

'QUE ON BRETHREN!!!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

Ooooops.....gotta change my sig.....just thought of that!

Nice job Wampus!
Can't wait to see your first cooks on it!

That UDS will last many generations, great score on the stainless and great workmanship!

Git er Dirty!

Super! I gotta get me a stainless drum. That looks like a fun way to spend the day. Right now it's pretty, after a few cooks, it should be uglied up a little.

That there is a mighty pretty build. My hats off to you Wampus!

Eager to see it in action, OutStanding Build!!!!

Awesome... Does your buddy have any more extra SS drums laying around?

Nice build, now all you need is a SS domed lid. Go to: www.arcticproducts.com and get ya one. I have one and so do a few other brethern. So I don't hi-jack your thread and shamelessly show off my SS UDS just look up my forum name and do a search(Paul B).

If I had a SS coal bucket mine would be all SS. My neighbor never came through with the expanded SS :cry::cry:.

Again, great build, now go and enjoy...............

Paul B

Aw shucks, maybe just the lid;
DSCF5252.jpg

I can't wait to see the pics from you cooking in your yard and the fire engine shows up and they look at the sticker on the side. They'll be gearing up thinking the smoke is Chlorine or something similar!

You'll have to explain it's just "Sweet Blue"...

Nice looking build, can't wait to see it in action.

Awesome... Does your buddy have any more extra SS drums laying around?

Well, he's got one more left. He cut one up for a couple of fire-pits. He said he wanted to see how mine worked and then maybe he'd build another for himself!!

This same buddy recently chose a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker as a free "gift" from a banquet from work. He showed it to me a couple of weeks ago, saying, "You ever seen one of these?" I just had to laugh. "Yeah! That's what I cook on!!!" Then I explained more about the drum smoker, and I think he's interested. To this point, I think he's been a full-time gasser. Although he's had my pork shoulder.......I'm creating another SMOKIN FOOL!! YEEHAW!

Nice build, now all you need is a SS domed lid. Go to: www.arcticproducts.com and get ya one. I have one and so do a few other brethern. So I don't hi-jack your thread and shamelessly show off my SS UDS just look up my forum name and do a search(Paul B).

If I had a SS coal bucket mine would be all SS. My neighbor never came through with the expanded SS :cry::cry:.

Again, great build, now go and enjoy...............

Paul B

Aw shucks, maybe just the lid;
DSCF5252.jpg

You've GOT to be kidding? That's super sweet! I'm gonna check that one out! Gotta put it on my Christmas list!!! Thanks!!!

Great looking drum Wampus! Can't wait to see it in action. :-D

Test cook last night

So.....here's the finished product:
IMG_4571.jpg

Ended up putting the Performer lid on it for the test run.

At first, I was a bit discouraged. I put an oven thermo on each of the two grates, but just let it burn for an hour before I touched it. The lid thermo was still showing about 200 degrees after an hour. I had the intake as well as the exhaust all the way open (see photo) the whole time. When I pulled the lid to check the oven thermos, the bottom rack showed about 340-350 and the top rack showed about 300-325. I had both oven thermos near the edge so they wouldn't be directly over the coals. Puzzled, I put the oven temps directly in the center of the racks. After a bit, I checked again and the bottom was showing 375 and the top was showing 350. There's about 6-6 1/2" between the racks. I guess I wasn't that suprised that there'd be a difference between the rack and lid temps, but 100 degrees?

I've done some more searching on the forum and found that this is typical (diff between edge and center temps). I just want to double check with y'all before I drill any holes in my new best friend (well.....my WIFE is my real best friend....you know what I mean!): I was planning on installing a long thermometer (like a tukey fryer thermo) so the tip is just inderneath the top rack at the center. That's the rack I'll use MOST of the time, I expect. That sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

Anyway, after 3 solid hours of the grate temps being 350-375, I figured that'd work well for poultry and hotter cooks. So I dialed down the valve for an hour and got the grate temps down to 225-230 (lid temp didn't even register) and left it overnight. Woke up, got dressed, got the kids dressed, just before jumping in the truck to head to work, decided to check before shutting her down.......still 225. Hadn't touched the thing for 8-9 hours. Incredible. I'm SO glad I found this website this summer. SOOOOO glad! Thanks to all of you for your inspirations!!!!

If it weren't opening season for whitetail in IN this weekend, I'd plan a big cook! Hell.....maybe I'll get mine on Sat morning.....then it's ON!!!

The performer gauges are junk. Pit one in exhaust hole. Nice job on the build. Jealousey mod. My Outperformer does the same and cooks great.

Back