• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vertical Rib Racks, do they work?

B

bo_gator

I have been looking at the rib racks that hold the ribs standing on their sides, instead of lying flat on the grate. Do these things work to reduce the amount of space a rack takes up, and still deliver an acceptable product :?:

Can they hold ribs wrapped in foil :?:

I have one but quit using it when started using 3-2-1 method.

I prefer to lay mine flat so the meat side can better stew in the tasty stuff I add to the wrap.

Using the supplied top tray I can get three full racks of St. Lois spares flat on my Akorn.....where I could get 5 racks using the rib stand, however the 5th rack had to be cut in half with the 1/2 slabs on the outer positions.

I'm sure it'd work with foil, but I prefer flat.

I've used them a couple of times when space was an issue. When I foiled, I stacked them parcially overlaying one another in the foil. Worked fine.

Of the maybe 10 ribs cooks I've done, I've had to use the rack twice. It could be my inexperience w/ the rack, but I prefer laying them down. Just seems more natural!

Also, it obviously easier to baste if you want.

The ribs usually shrink enough by the end to lay flat if I have the room.

I cooked ribs for 120 people in a single 24x70" horizontal offset by using rib racks. I used St. Louis cut ribs rubbed with Plowboy's Yardbird and sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's Original. Nothing too out-there but oh man did those ribs disappear! I think the vertical racks work fine. PITA to store afterwards, though.

seattlepitboss

I've used them in the past. While some are designed well, most are designed poorly, allowing very little circulation, IMO.

Every time I think I'm going to use one I think about how much of a pain they are to clean, and I pass. I have the Raichlen rack and it is a pain to clean

Rib racks work great. In truth, they may even produce a better product based upon the way the air moves around the vertical ribs. Since I don't foil, that is not a factor

I may just be blowing smoke,:wink: but but it seems to me the ribs are self basting when cooked in a rack making for a more moist product. if you have a full rack of ribs I like to rotate the ones in the middle at some point in the cook and when I put them in the rack I make sure they are facing opposite of each other allowing more air space between them. If I were to foil which I don't, they would be laying flat and not in the rack after being foiled. Having said that I hate cleaning them even when sprayed down with pam before hand. If you need the space something that some do here is roll and pin them with wooden or metal sewers and set them on end, I have never done this but some people do and maybe they will chime in on that. The dishwasher is your friend with racks.:eusa_clap
Dave

the WSM site shows a method of rolling the ribs and securing with a couple of bbq skewers. I have tried this on my Master forge vertical and it worked well. Saves a lot of rib space bu the bark was inconsistent.

I own two from two different manufactures. I use them every time I smoke rims on my WSM. I own a Camp Chef and a Weber. For some reason the Weber allows the ribs to flop on the ends which I don't care for.

Why yes....yes they do work.

IMG_1164.jpg

When I foil, I usually remove the racks and just stack up the foiled racks of ribs "log cabin style" to keep heat and air moving among and between them. On the racks shown above, they're tight enough that if I tried to put the foiled ribs back in the racks, the foil would probably tear and make a mess.

I build racks that not only work but allow the user some more options. I've been searching for a quality wire former that is not doing the big guys products now, and hopefully close to KC where my plater is. Plating is what it takes to make clean up easier. These racks are cool but I'm only able to hand make now. If someone knows of a quality rack making company(CNC equipped) that is located in the midwest, please tell me. Thanks. Steve.

I used a rack when I cooked on a WSM. Yes they do work. And you do not need the rack once the ribs are foiled. Just stack them on top of each other.

Yes, they work well. I prefer to cook them laying flat though.

Sent from my Android phone.

I have used them when I have a big cook [ for me that is ] but given a choice I would rather not use them, thats just me. The worst part is cleaning them.

Its the only way to go on my little pellet pooper. I can fit up to 6 racks on it then, otherwise 2 is a squeeze. I agree, the dishwasher is great. This rack has a little angle to it too. I don't wrap btw.

I roll mine with a couple of wooden skewers through them. I cut them St. Louis style and can get 6 racks & the extra meat I cut off on my 18.5" WSM with no trouble. I used racks on my old offset, but they're not an efficient use of space on a round bullet smoker.

I use a handy thingy from IKEA . Here in Holland its called the Rationel Deckelholder, u can also put ribs in it;

Apparently not available in the US. But while looking for them I did spot some nice SS hooks: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70011397/#/00011536

Those look like the ones I got from Amazon for just a bit more. Vertical hanging is the other way to get more ribs in less space. Not sure how many I could fit in my 18.5 WSM but vertical hanging just under the lid provides space for the entire length.

Back