Cat Sass BBQ BattleWagon

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I got this idea after seeing pics from The_Kapn's Chekeeta http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34015&highlight=CHEKEETA

I started with my old trusty 6x12 utility trailer that we've used to haul all our gear for past comps. I got tired (literally) of packing, loading, unloading at the comp, setting up camp, then repacking, reloading and unloading everything when I got home. It was starting to take all the fun out of it. I wanted to haul everything and cook on the trailer. We'll still do our boxes in "the social area" under an EZ-Up on the ground right beside the BattleWagon.

So, I did some catering and some bartering and finally started on this in late March. Our first comp with it will be next wknd in Fredericksburg. Maybe Pitmasters will get some footage of it for TV. :razz:

I couldn't find a before pic but here it is with new metal added to the front to support our tall smokers, and table supports. It was sanded and primed.

Here it is all painted and purty. The kids wanted the work table supports and fenders red. At first I wasn't crazy about the idea but now I like it. Note, the supports face rearward for transport.

Here's the new work station. The smoker will be in the front. The shelves under the work tables are for our 3-drawer cabinets.

The EZ-Up needed to be raised so I made some stilts.

Thanks for looking. I'll give a report after next weekend on how things work out.

Nice work and idea, that should make it easier to do stuff. I wonder about the stability of the pop-up with those legs

Nice work and idea, that should make it easier to do stuff. I wonder about the stability of the pop-up with those legs

That was my first thought as well, I've seen some pretty serious storms come up out of nowhere and those legs look like even a very stiff breeze might take them

I need to take some close up pics of those stilts. It's hard to see but the foot of the EZ-Up leg is about halfway up the stilt and it latches at the top, so they're not coming out. One stilt uses a whole 8' 2x4 so they're kinda weighty. I'll still lash the EZ-Up to the trailer just because of that unexpected wind.

looking good... keep the pics coming as you add stuff. Nice idea indead!!

That is a great looking unit!!

CheKetta served us well for several years and I am glad you found some useful ideas from her.
With some imagination, it is amazing how much can be done with a small space.

Hope you enjoy it.

TIM

Im going to keep an eye on this, looking like a cool setup. I have done a similar thing with my 16' trailer, I'll try to get some pics up.

That decking looks a little worn are you concerned about it? I had to redo mine this past winter and its kind of a PIA, lots of drilling. I didn't replace all of the 2 bys and then put pressure treated 3/4" plywood down to make the floor. I'm in the process right now of installing raised coin vinyl flooring and installing a different cooker. I should have pics by the weekend.

OOoooooooo. Sweet Mark. I just hope you did a better build on that than you did this...

snowdamage121909001Medium.jpg

:becky:

Do you have a pic of those stilts. I need to make a set for my setup as I have been using 5 gallon buckets and they are getting a tad bit old.

bbq2-426x320.jpg

bbq1-426x320.jpg

Rex, are you going to be in Fredericksgurg this wknd? If so you'll see them there.

The BattleWagon is at my buddy's house in the Burg now. He's loading his stuff and then we'll go from there to the comp.

I'll post pics of the stilts after this wknd.

I will be there this weekend. Should be rolling in around 8-9 am on Friday. I might try to make a few before then as my buckets are ruined. Thanks for the idea. It is such a good idea.

Rex, sorry that I dont have the BattleWagon here to take more pics for you. Pretty much, I cut two pieces of 2x4 at 43", this left me aprrox 10" of waste. I used that 10" to make the platform for the EZ-Up feet to rest on. The 2x4's were nailed together to form a corner type right angle. I needed to raise my EZup 21" to be level with my trailer to that's where I put the platform.

The upper part is more complex and I need a pic to show you. I got a little elaborate with the latching mechanism. Didn't mean to; just happened. I had some leftover metal from another project that worked perfectly as a latch to hold the top part of the EZup leg stable.

It's 22" from the foot up the leg when the leg is on the bottom hole of the height adjustment. So that's where the 43" came from. (21+22)*2= 86. Stud is 96". Used the 10" for the platform. No waste. Love it.

Back