• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need Help with Trigg Rib method on UDS....

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need some help with the Trigg Rib method on my UDS. I'm getting ready to cook up some St. Louis spares on the UDS and I want to try and foil them with margrine, brown sugar, and honey...Johnny Trigg style. I'm not sure how long I should cook them for before foiling, and then also not sure about how long to foil. Any help would be much appreciated. Pics to follow throughout.

Thanks,
Patrick

I use my UDS for ribs the trigg method. I foil for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after smoking at 225 or so for 3 hours. Hope this helps.

Start with 3-2-1 approach running the drum around 225. 3 hrs in the smoke, 2 hours in the foil, 1 hour back in the smoke.

I follow the 3-2-1 exactly, and get perfect results with st. louis cut (if you cook the trimmings too, the largest parts are usually done by 3 hrs). Many here use shorter times after much experimentation, but I think 3-2-1 is a great place to start. I also use a heat diffuser and cook bone side down the whole time.

Good luck!

If you are cooking Baby Backs, then it's more like 2 hours smoke, 1 hour foil, then 1 hour smoke (2-1-1). Baby backs will be mush if you go 3-2-1.

I just did my spares (St. Lou-style) on my drum and for me, 2 hrs in the foil was a little much. The people above me gave you a good starting point, but its up to you and your UDS to experiment and see what works for you! Good luck and be sure to show us the pron!

Okay, I'm somewhat confused now what kind of ribs I have. the packaging says they are "Pork Spareribs Bricket bone off" but they look more like baby backs to me. Let me post some pics and see what you all think.

Attachments

• DSC03936.jpg
    DSC03936.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC03937.jpg
    DSC03937.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC03938.jpg
    DSC03938.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC03940.jpg
    DSC03940.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC03941.jpg
    DSC03941.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 311
Looks like you have loin back (baby back) ribs there. I'd probably shorten the times as shoot for 2-1-1 myself.

Thanks thats what I thought. Not sure if I should be happy about it or not. I like baby backs and they are usually almost twice as much so maybe I got a deal. I'll go with 2-1-1 and see how things go.

Less than $2/lb seems like a great deal! Let us know how they turn out and post plenty of pics!

Good luck!

I've done both BB and St. Louie ribs with the Triggs method. If you start with 221 then look at your pullback after the first two hours, if nor much let hem go another hour. I also mix the brown sugar, parkay and honey in a bowl. Apply some to the foil, place the ribs on top, bone side up then more slather and wrap em' up. Put them back on the smopker and check again after 1 hour. I usually open them up at this time and let them go another hout or so. Pull back and using a wooden stick to check are the keys. If they look done and they feel done then they are done. Make sure to let them rest coverd for a half hour or so before diving in.

Okay so my smoker is running hot at 285* I'm hoping it will starting coming down. I closed off two vents and have the other two partially open. I plan on thowing the food on around 2pm EST.

Usually able to close all but one vent, and fine-tune temps with that last vent.

I know a few people do it, but I never rest ribs. They go from the drum to the plate.

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try shutting all vents but 1 slightly open and see if the temps start coming down. In the mean time here are some pics of the ribs waiting to go on the cooker.

After they got a yellow mustard/Apple Cider Vinegar bath I rubbed them down with some Butt Glitter. Once My smoker settles in on they will go.

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

DSC03943.jpg

Those look like spares, already trimmed St Louis style.

That's what I thought also, I'm no expert by any means but I prefere to foil for less time, maybe an hour at the most. Good luck.:thumb:

Can't seem to get my temp to start coming down. Its up to 300* now. I have alll vents closed except 1 that is only partially opened. Did I start with too much lit charcaol?? I used a little less then half a chimney. Also I'm using briquettes not lump.

Patrick

But if you notice, the bone side has no area where the skirt was trimmed...

The meat side definitely looks like spares. It's a weird trim job, maybe trimmed under the flap, right at the joint. Not a standard StL trim.

Back