• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I know I preach about not going for coolness factor, but external Bling is ok.
Introducing the Big Belly mod. For those that can't bend over. :biggrin:
IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

Brilliant!!!

Noe i gotta design a no weld version......:icon_sleepy

Can you mod that cooking grate for the bottom of your charcoal basket?

No, way to chinsy.... see below :shock:

I just found 1/8" thick 18" rounds at the scrap yard for 2.00 - I'm sure you could do something with those norco.

How about a pic Bob?

Update on my No weld basket....

Had a problem today with this ECB grate set-up, the thing is so flimsy that with a load of fuel, the legs twisted the grate and collapsed! :evil: (Why always at a comp??)
I would suggest the extra couple of bucks for the heavier Weber grates or something similar!
New Basket tomorrow, will update! :cool:

Had a problem today with this ECB grate set-up, the thing is so flimsy that with a load of fuel, the legs twisted the grate and collapsed!

That's what I was worried about. Hmmm... maybe it was a good thing that Mom Nature decided to not let me work on my drums this weekend!! Thanks for the update!

-------------

Wulfie

Newest member of the Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

2 UDS in construction
1 Charbroil Electric Deluxe H20 smoker (soon to be scrapped for parts)

Just curious to know if you guys that are using a single stack from the bung on the drum lids notice a hot spot in that area? I know when I'm using the Weber lid, things cook faster under the vent.

I only use the one opening but trying both is worth a go. I have been trying to watch and see and I do think my basket burns a bit better on the side of the exhaust but I have been chalking it up to the dripping from the food causing this as I keep the exhause away from anything in the smoker to avoid any 'liwuid smoke' dripping on them.
I'm out playing with my drum now so I'll take anothr look.

Just curious to know if you guys that are using a single stack from the bung on the drum lids notice a hot spot in that area? I know when I'm using the Weber lid, things cook faster under the vent.

Yes. I noticed it when I do ABT's and chicken. When you use the weber lid do you get a hot spot on the side where the vent is ?
I did not notice a hot spot on my other drum, because the vent is in the center of the lid.

Where do you place your vent in relation to your open intake ? I put mine opposite!:icon_bigsmil

Yes. I noticed it when I do ABT's and chicken. When you use the weber lid do you get a hot spot on the side where the vent is ?
I did not notice a hot spot on my other drum, because the vent is in the center of the lid.

Where do you place your vent in relation to your open intake ? I put mine opposite!:icon_bigsmil

I feel a Weber kettle lid modification coming...I'm thinking on adding 2 more vents just like the first one...equally spaced. I'm thinking this will eliminate the hot spot. Thoughts?

I have a 2" intake and the exhaust is 2" in the center of the lid. I get a hot spot on the intake side. After yesterdays cook I was thinking of welding a plate over the 2" intake hole and putting in a 1" since there is absolutely no need for the 2".

Would it work to just put a reducer on it that way you could remove it if the temps went bad?

What does the 2" intake look like? How about a set up like on the end of a turkey fryer burner? One that you rotate to adjust. They sell cheap knock out covers at Home Depot in electrical section. one with holes and one with slots and Bam!. Infinate adjustment.
Like this.
cb9b0ac4.jpg

I think the lid with the holes will give a more even heat range so I'll try one out and see how it goes in the near future. I have stayed away from them due to our weather changes.

I just revamped my UDS. I went from 4 (1/2" 4in long nipples) to 4 (3/4" 2" long nipples) and went from 2 ball valves to 1 ball valve. I have kept my flat lid it has 8 equally spaced 1/2" holes drilled around the outer edge of the inner ring if that makes any sense. I also used some bailing wire to make a handle and secure my basket to my grate. Now i need to pick up some bolts and washers to make the legs for the grate. I'm gonna try it out this weekend. I also repainted it as it was green with only 2 coats of paint and it rusted pretty quickly. I used 3 cans of krylon bbq paint on this one it looks Sweet!! hopefully it wont rust this time and i can actually maintain some temps with it.

what about the lids that use all of the holes around the top? How do they adjust?

I'll tell you it is a sight to behold to see the convection effect with the drum lid and my 8 vent holes swirling in the early morning of an all nighter with just my dining room light reflecting on the deck!

Back