My first competition

chrisr

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm about to enter my first BBQ competition ever. We will be smoking brisket, pork ribs, pork butt, and chicken. How many items of each meat do people typically smoke? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

some do 1, but I usually do 2 briskets

some do 2, some 3, I do 4 ribs

some do 1, but most do 2 butts, I do 3 or 4 butts; 2 for Money Muscles; 2 regular

chicken tends to range in thighs from around 10 to 24. I usually do around 16.

Best of luck, and have fun.

For me, I do 1 brisket, 2 butts, 3 slabs of ribs, and 12 thighs. Money is my limitation.

If it's KCBS or modeled after KCBS you will need enough to feed 6 judges in each category. Some cook a lot of extras just in case, like Lake Dogs^^^ for example. If you do more than one type of cut or lets say rib you will need enough for 6 judges. So you wouldn't want to turn in 3 slices of pork and enough pulled for 3 judges you want at least 6 slices and enough pulled for all 6. If you turn in thighs you need 6 of them, if you add wings, make sure there are 6, not 3 thighs and 3 wings....& etc. Whatever you feel most comfortable cooking enough for 6 judges, that's how much you should make. Good luck to you and your team!

Also, go into it with the attitude of having fun. Don't get all serious and uptight about it. Make it a good time and have a lot of laughs. That's what Comp's are supposed to be - fun for you and your friends! Just my 2 cents...

I'm doing my first comp next week. My plan for meat is

18 thighs
2 butts, 1 for pulled, 1 for money muscle
3 Racks St Louis Cut ribs
2 racks baby backs (in case of emergency)
1 brisket

For me, I do 1 brisket, 2 butts, 3 slabs of ribs, and 12 thighs. Money is my limitation.

That's exactly what I'm doing currently and it is pretty much the minimum in my opinion. I wouldn't cook any more for your first contest because, until you get used to doing your boxes, you won't have time to deal with any more.

If you have the time do a complete "dry run" before the actual comp. This will assist you with cook and turn in times as well as figure out what equipment you'll need at the comp.

one brisket, two butts (two butt cryovac), 3 slabs of ribs( I buy two cryovacs and pick the best three of the six to cook). I can fit 20-22 thighs on an Egg easily. I normally buy ~24 or so. There is always one or two that get tossed in the trash for one reason or another during prep.

i usually only do local comps, so i've got a lot of friends and family that show up. But you've paid plenty to get in, so you might as well be prepared regardless.
2 briskets
4 butts
6 ribs
lots of chicken

why chance messing up just 1 brisket, it's nice to have options

Two Briskets
One butt / One Picnic
Six racks of ribs
20 thighs, only because 6 are dq'd from the start

We only cook the 2 brisky's because we are still sorting out the correct process.

We are going to start donating the leftovers to the local disabled vets.

It is up to you what you will be comfortable cooking and can manage . We cook 4 butts , 2 briskets , 6 racks st Louis and 24 chicken thighs . give us option to choose from .

I agree with the others that a lot is up to what you can manage. The more ribs you cook, the more ribs you must tend etc. We have been doing BY but we do 2 butts, 16-20 thighs, 4 ribs (and when we've done brisket, 2 of those).

1 brisket
2 butts
2 racks st. louis ribs
10 thighs
the less stuff you cook the less room for error, but you can devote more of your attention to to fewer things.
think disposable!!! ziplocks, pan liners, table liners etc.
pre-prep everything!!! trim meats, scrape chicken skins, even make garnish boxes.(when you have to get the garnish in the competition box just cover your box with a solid cutting board, invert, switch boxes and reinvert. it takes some practice but you will get it.)
use name brand competition rubs and sauces.
prepare for rain and cold nights.
bug spray.
gatorade.
nitrile gloves.
and...
have fun!!!

If I'm cooking alone...
1 brisket
2 butts
3 slabs of ribs - I can get individual slabs in cryovac already StL trimmed.
16 thighs - I buy 24-30 and sort through them to find the best ones to cook.

A few of you said you do extra butts for the money muscle. Do you prep those butts differently - maybe cut away the edge of the muscle to get more bark?

Back