Has anyone ever competed in the Hammond, LA competition?

F

Fletch711

Has anyone ever competed in the Hammond, LA competition?

They appear to have two entries. One appears to be a Patio Porkers/Backyard style and the other a KCBS. I am debating over which one to enter.
My strongest cooks have all been Butts and briskets and it appears the “Backyard Boogie” only has rib, chicken and sauce ?

I have some competition experience as a member of a team in Memphis in May, but that was several years ago.

I have tables, coolers, multiple tents and portable water units you name it. I’m skeptical about is my equipment (sounds like a personal problem).

I want to just bring two Bayou Classic Cypress (Kamado style ceramics) and one WSM 22”.
If you aren’t familiar a Cypress is essentially the same size as a large BGE.

I assume I would only be laughed at if I turn in poor product, but I’ve never attended this event and I really just want to start out in a competition that I would enjoy and learn from.

This is an A-List contest in my opinion! I've been every year but the first one. And I'll go back next year too, if'n I'm still moving. The pro contest was sold out January 7th this year, so get your application in early.

Awesome contest. If my girls get off for that weekend from school, I'll be back.

One suggestion. This one is usually limited to 50 KCBS teams and fills up fast - so keep checking the website for info - http://www.hammondbluesandbbq.com - they have already announced on the web site their planned dates for 2012 (3/24-25). You might get the information you're looking for on their website as well. Usually, if you compete one year, you get first choice of your spot for the next year - if you return (and many teams do).

If this is your initial contest, I don't know if it's a good idea to start off with the KCBS competition - lots of stiff competition! I know of several teams that started out at the backyard contest in Hammond, tho...

If you want to "get your feet wet" and try out your equipment, there are several contests coming up in LA in the fall - Jennings, Port Allen, Ponchatoula - many of the competitors there have been to either one or both competitions in Hammond in the past!

Lynn H.

Hammond

I've been around the Hammond, LA contest for each year it's been around. I judge this contest because it is one of the best in the country. The cookers who come there are usually the best. I do know a lot of people who cooked the Patio part of Hammond and have moved up to the KCBS side of things. I have to agree with the post above, there is a contest in October in Ponchatoula, LA that is just across I-10 from Hammond. If you want to get your feet wet, try the Ponchatoula contest. They had 40-some teams last year in Ponchatoula.

Thank you all for the advice. I had no idea about the Ponchachula contest. We will start small. Thanks again!

Back