Poor man's thermopen

I wonder if these are any good? I know the Thermapen is the one everyone wants, but at my budget level I can hardly afford almost $100 for a thermometer. I really need one badly too. Polder is a pretty decent brand if I'm correct. I know they say you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:

Looks like the readout is on the top instead of the side like the thermapen. I'm a lefty and it is a pain using the thermapen.

I used a couple of probe theremometers in the past and although they weren't as fast as a Thermapen they did the job. The last one I had before I received my Thermapen as a gift, which I still take with us to have as a back up, was accurate, could be calibrated (which is nice) and settled on a temperature in about 8-10 seconds. It is a Taylor model #9842 and is pictured below.

9842.gif

As I said, I now use a Thermapen but this one did a good job too.

The thermometer debate....

I have several brands, and yes, use them all. Are they all the same, NO. Some do read and respond faster than others. Some I use more than others, and some just sit as back ups....

It is just what you like, and are use to using, and how much you want to spend on your toys. Yes, the Thermapen has a fast response time, they claim abt 2-3 seconds. Others will settle in but not that fast. So, what is wrong with putting the probe (with the lead running outside the cooker) in the cooker, or piece of meat and leaving it there to read. NOTHING. That is what I do. So my thoughts are, if it is cooking, and it takes 10 seconds to update, who really cares. Will the meat be overcooked in that amount of time, NO.

Just use what you can afford and like.

If you have a cooker that lose heat fast you need a fast read but my cookers dont lose that much heat and they recover fast. beside 100 buck too much for a therm.

"That Taylor looks like a FAST red one! How fast is it?"

Just checked it in a pot of chicken soup that is heating up on the stove, from 67 to 150 in around 6 seconds- must be because it's RED :smile:

Customer reviews on the 2 Taylor models mentioned here are much better than the Polder. You can get the Weekend Warrior at Lowes.

Back